Multiples

Breastfeeding question

I was lying awake last night thinking about how I will breastfeed twins.  I am experienced with breastfeeding but I'm not sure how I will get two floppy newborns onto my nursing pillow.  How did you do it? I'd prefer to tandem nurse if I can figure it out.  Even with one newborn, it feels like you are nursing all day! I'm imagining trying to carry two newborns to my recliner with a bulky twin nursing pillow, or having both babies nearby, setting one on the nursing pillow and as I reach down to grab the other baby the first one rolls off onto the floor! LOL I'm probably stressing over nothing, but until I can see this in action it is going to plague me! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Breastfeeding question

• I am so glad you asked! I've been lying awake at night thinking the same things, can't wait to read the responses. :0)
  • I thought the same thing but ultimately ended up not tandem nursing just because the logistics were too much.  It was taking too much time to get set up and try to keep them both latched.  It was easier and quicker to do one after another. Now at almost 7 mos old I do occasionally tandem mostly because they can latch themselves and eat sitting up with makes things a lot easier.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Loading the player...
  • Shel79Shel79 member
    I have 10 week old twins and we have tandem nursed since they were about 10 days old. I have a twin My Breast Friend pillow, which helps a ton. I only nurse on a couch or loveseat, so if one were to roll off they wouldn't go far! I put one twin in a boppy on the couch or in a rock n play in front of it. I strap the pillow around me and pick up the second twin, then sit down and get her situated on the pillow. Then I reach next to me or in front of me to grab the first twin, and we get to latching. I love tandem nursing because it takes so much less time! I'm not comfortable doing it around anyone but DH, though, so I tend to pump and bottle feed if we will be having company or going out. Good luck!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • This was and still is worrying me, but what helped me feel a bit more confident was watching some YouTube videos of the logistics of it. 
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Throughout my pregnancy with my twins, breastfeeding was probably what I made the most anxiety about. I had nursed my other two children, but I worried I wouldn't make enough milk and I worried about the logistics of nursing two at a time.  Well, my twins are now 13 months old, they've never had formula and we are still nursing! It's great that you already have experience nursing. That will help, for sure. When my twins were really little, I would bring them both to my bed or the couch and put them on either side while I set up my boppy and then I'd get them both latched on. I just saw it as something where I had to think through the steps ahead of time.

Since I had two other little ones (who were 2 and 3 when the twins were born), I felt it was definitely easier to tandem feed, for the sake of time. But even then, yes, you're pretty much nursing 'round the clock. 

If you are committed to it, you will make it work!  And like everything else, it gets easier with practice and with time. Good luck!

• My advice is to have everything set up ahead of time. I would keep things set up by my couch during the day and my bed at night. I would put them in boppys next to me and get one on the nursing pillow, then reach over and get the other off the other boppy and put him on the nursing pillow, then work on latching one at a time. 

If someone was there with me I would get one latched on, then have whoever was with me hand me the other baby and get him latched. I tandem nursed them until about 9 months, but now find it easier to do one at a time since they are so quick.

It is great that you have experience breastfeeding already. Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 21C
  • I was wondering about this a few weeks ago and watched some YouTube videos. I am going to try to feed both at once. We are getting a loveseat with ottoman in our bedroom so I can nurse on there. In the video I watched, the mom put both babies in boppies on each side and got herself situated with a breast friend pillow. Then she latched one then the other. She emphasized putting snacks and things to do like her phone or ereader because it will take a while. I just wonder how long it will take to feed both. It just depends on the baby. One of my nephew would linger at 30 minutes per feed while his younger brother got his done at 10 minutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJodiAriel:
    I thought the same thing but ultimately ended up not tandem nursing just because the logistics were too much.nbsp; It was taking too much time to get set up and try to keep them both latched.nbsp; It was easier and quicker to do one after another. Now at almost 7 mos old I do occasionally tandem mostly because they can latch themselves and eat sitting up with makes things a lot easier.

This was true for me as well. I could tandem them as newborns if I had help, but they needed too much help latching in the beginning for me to tandem on my own. By four months old or so they got to be really fast at nursing and it was just easier to do them one at a time. Around 11m we started to tandem again because when one nursed the other wanted to as well. By then it was easy because they could just sit on my lap.

The My Brest Friend Twin pillow was a huge help I used it nearly ever time I tandem nursed. I also sat on the floor a lot for tandem nursing because it kept me from having to worry about dropping one while settling the other.

I won't lie, it's crazy hard in the beginning, but so worth it! It was awesome to never pay for formula or have to go home because we forgot to pack bottles. Hot and fresh meals available 24/7!
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's tough tandem feeding newborns!  I really couldn't do it without help for a while so I had to feed one at a time if I was alone for the first couple months at home.  I was also using nipple shields in the beginning because they couldn't stay latched on, so that added another level of complexity.  I usually fed them on the couch so I could put one on the breast while the other sat beside me and I didn't have to reach very far for him.  I think if you can get past those first few weeks and months, it gets waaaay easier.  Having a good support system really helps.

• I exclusively breasted my first two, weaned around 22 months, so I've got lots of experience with that. I bought a Brest Friend Twin from a mom on a local MoM FB page for 40, brand new! LOL I was considering replacing my glider with a recliner but maybe I'll get a love seat instead. Hmmm...wonder if they have rocking love seats?? Haha! I really appreciate all of your suggestions! Eases my mind. My kids are 4 and 2, btw.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagealiwisewoman:
    I exclusively breasted my first two, weaned around 22 months, so I've got lots of experience with that. I bought a Brest Friend Twin from a mom on a local MoM FB page for 40, brand new! LOL I was considering replacing my glider with a recliner but maybe I'll get a love seat instead. Hmmm...wonder if they have rocking love seats?? Haha! I really appreciate all of your suggestions! Eases my mind. My kids are 4 and 2, btw.

You will do great especially being such an experienced BFing mom!  Just remember you burn tons of calories BFing two so watch out for major cravings and eat lots of healthy calorie rich foods.  One of mine pretty much gave up the boob around 12 mo so I decided to wean both at that time.  I wish I could have gone a little farther but I was still pretty darn proud of making it to there with two preemies!

• Before babies, I was convinced I would tandem feed. But I rarely do it. Actually I do it more now 8 months old than I did before, because they can sit up and unlatch themselves and everything. And that's only if they are both screaming at the same time. I had the brest friend and found it so uncomfortableI had to sit up completely straight and just couldn't get it right. I felt like my torso was not tall enough to have the babies on the pillow then put them down one at a time....
    Anyway, my point is that flexibility is going to be your best quality! and I mean in terms of adaptability, not physically!! be open to doing things differently than what you had imagined, and let your babies show you, too. The biggest thing I've learned is that you can't have everything planned out ahead if time. Read, ask questions, know your options, but know that things might look different than what you imagined!
    I was also super concerned about bfing ftm but we are still going strong at 8 months. Good luck to you, hope this helps!
  • Thank you, it does help! I think being flexible and going with the flow are important even if its just one baby. I'm fine with nursing one at a time. With two older children, I don't like to think how much time I'll be spending nursing separately. But if that's how it works best! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"