September 2012 Moms
Options

LO feeding self

We feed DD pureed fruits, veggies, and oatmeal everyday. Along with occassional finger food snacks she can feed herself such as puffs, cheerios, other gerber snacks. We also try to give her table food from time to time depending on what I cooked for the night but I feel like we are really behind on introducing foods to her. She does really well at putting food in her mouth herself.

But my questions is: does LO feed themselve with a spoon or soft fork? When should it be introduced or when to start teaching how to use one?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO feeding self

• Options
    S2BHA is the only one of our babies I've seen actually use a utensil the correct way.  We give one to N from time to time and she bangs it on the high chair, then puts the wrong end in her mouth.  I have no idea when you start introducing utensils more regularly.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options

Not until 18 months or so should they be able to do this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I give my boys a spoon at each feeding, but they mostly just play with it. They use their hands to actually feed themselves.
  • Options

Heh S3 just hits himself with the spoon. So we don't often give it to him.

My (almost) 2yr old is still pretty dangerous with a spoon/fork so he just gets spoons. 

We start working on it really around 18mo.

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • Options
    PokedotPokedot member
    I give B a spoon to "play" with and explore whenever he eats. He loves to just chew on it upside down of course. Everything goes upside down with that kid I swear. He uses his fingers for cheerios, puffs and table food. Otherwise we use the spoon to feed him. He's more interest in his highchair toy right now anyways. Oh and putting several cheerios in his mouth all at once!

• Options
    imageLoveLossHopeRepeat:
    Liam gags himself on any utensil, so I'm holding off on giving them to him for awhile. You can start anytime it's not going to hurt them. Unless it's my kid.nbsp;

This! DS gags himself too so I'm holding off until 12 months to start trying.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AlinnJoAlinnJo member
    I hand my LO the spoon and she does put it in her mouth and feed herself. She does drop it or fling the food from it from time to time, but she's pretty good at using it. I definitely have to put the food on it for her. There is no way she's doing that by herself. 
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageMarisaKathleen:
    S2BHA is the only one of our babies I've seen actually use a utensil the correct way.  We give one to N from time to time and she bangs it on the high chair, then puts the wrong end in her mouth.  I have no idea when you start introducing utensils more regularly.

Charlotte uses a spoon. She dips it into whatever she is eating, and then puts it in her mouth. Sure, she makes a mess in the process, but she knows how it works.

"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options

imageAlinnJo:
    I hand my LO the spoon and she does put it in her mouth and feed herself. She does drop it or fling the food from it from time to time, but she's pretty good at using it. I definitely have to put the food on it for her. There is no way she's doing that by herself. 

This, exactly.

• Options

If I preload the spoon for her, DD will generally get 3 or 4 bites in her mouth. I do it just to let her practice, but I definitely wouldn't say she's "feeding herself." She spends way more time banging the spoon on her tray or waving it around like a baton. But it's a start! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    It isn't worth the mess to me. He plays with spoons all the time while I'm cooking but for actual food, I don't hand over a bowl and spoon. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I preload the spoon and put it on the tray for DS to pick up. He picks it up, puts it in his mouth and then sometimes puts it back on the tray to be re-filled. At least half of the time he throws it off the side of the tray once he eats the food off of it. I feel like we are about half way there.

• Options
    E does well with a preloaded spoon. Right to his mouth to get the good stuff. I began giving him a spoon and bowl to explore when he was 5m and we weren't starting solids (didn't want him to be too bored at the table). Sometimes he dips it in the bowl or food on his tray and then gets it to his mouth, but that's pretty inconsistent. 

I do give him a bowl and a spoon with food sometimes so that he can explore it, like oatmeal and applesauce. Usually he just holds the bowl up to his face and tries to suck the food in. haha. 

• Options
    klgrh6klgrh6 member

Thanks ladies. I figured it would be a while from now before she would be able to considering when I hand it to her and she always puts the handle part in her mouth. I just didn't want to fall behind on that too.

• Options
    HyalineHyaline member
    I let DD guide the spoon into her mouth with me holding it.  If I give it to her to do with what she likes, she thinks flinging the food is more fun than eating it.  So, yeah, I guess we're starting to "teach" but it's more just letting her do what she thinks is fun with the utensil at this point.  Guiding it was her idea, not mine :)
  • Options
    imageMomtobeNJ:
    If I preload the spoon for her, DD will generally get 3 or 4 bites in her mouth. I do it just to let her practice, but I definitely wouldn't say she's "feeding herself." She spends way more time banging the spoon on her tray or waving it around like a baton. But it's a start!nbsp;

This. He is always grabbing the spoon from me so before he does I will semi load it up. Most of the time he gets it in his mouth.

• Options
    My toddler has now at 18 months just figured out how to use spoon and fork and at 20 months, he still sometimes ditches both and eats with his hands. We didnt real start with utensils until about a year.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    StasiStasi member

If we hand Kate the spoon in the correct way, she'll bring it to her mouth (either empty or pre-loaded with food), but there is no way that she would be able to dip it into anything....not because I don't think she could start learning now, but because bowl full of food = projectile to her.

She never throws her spoon, but for some reason a bowl with food in it needs to be dumped out and the empty bowl needs to be thrown far, far away.

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"