Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Talk to me about Blighted Ovum *Siggy Pic Warning

We had a surprise pregnancy. LO #1 is 18 months and we weren't trying for another LO right now. I was late so took a test on May 19 (10 days ago) and at 3 different times/days I had all positives. We went today for an U/S and doc said it's either too early to tell or blight ovum. He could see the sac but it measured very small. He said he hated this but the only thing to do was wait until next week for a follow up u/s.

I didn't have any blood draws done yet. He said it would show there is something in my uterus but he already knows there is from the u/s so we didnt need to do them. This is my new doc. I switched after a bad experience with my last pregnancy and delivery with #1. I had blood draws with that doc at 5 weeks, u/s at 7, more blood draws frequently.

I've had some brown spotting and red blood here and there (red blood after sex) and brown bleeding this morning after my pap smear yesterday. No cramping though. Based on LMP I would be around 6 weeks.

Any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

Re: Talk to me about Blighted Ovum *Siggy Pic Warning

• Oh hun I'm sorry...I donjt know anythig about blighten ovum...but don't loose hope yet. 25 of women bleed during PG maybe your 1 of them....your in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted and good luck
  • MollySmMollySm member
    I'm sorry you are going through this. The wait must be painful. Do you know when your last period started? Or any idea when you ovulated? If you just got a positive test 10 days ago, it could definitely be too early to see anything. I had spotting with my first, and red after sex, and it was no big deal. Lots of women spot. I know it's hard, but the best thing to do is just try to make it to the next ultrasound without going crazy. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I had a blighted ovum previously.  I think your doctor is right for not doing any blood draws.  The blood tests just measure your HCG levels which will still be high even if it's a blighted ovum.  Now they are just looking to see if a fetal pole develops.   I had just a sac and some light bleeding off and on.  Once we waited long enough to determine that nothing was going to develop we waited two weeks to miscarry.  I did not miscarry naturally so I took misoprostol (cytotec) to induce the miscarriage.

I hope everything is ok with you and that it may just be too early to see everything.  Fingers crossed! 

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    imagewhoberry:

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I had a blighted ovum previously.  I think your doctor is right for not doing any blood draws.  The blood tests just measure your HCG levels which will still be high even if it's a blighted ovum.  Now they are just looking to see if a fetal pole develops.   I had just a sac and some light bleeding off and on.  Once we waited long enough to determine that nothing was going to develop we waited two weeks to miscarry.  I did not miscarry naturally so I took misoprostol (cytotec) to induce the miscarriage.

I hope everything is ok with you and that it may just be too early to see everything.  Fingers crossed! 

I've passed blood throughout the day today when I go to the bathroom and wipe. I had a larger size clot, size of a quarter, pass and also something that looked like a pea shell (like a little sac). Do you think this could be it?

• JKTTC1JKTTC1 member

imageMollySm:
    I'm sorry you are going through this. The wait must be painful. Do you know when your last period started? Or any idea when you ovulated? If you just got a positive test 10 days ago, it could definitely be too early to see anything. I had spotting with my first, and red after sex, and it was no big deal. Lots of women spot. I know it's hard, but the best thing to do is just try to make it to the next ultrasound without going crazy. Good luck!

My Last Period was April 14. I got my first positive when I was 3 days late on May 19. 

• imageJKTTC1:
    imagewhoberry:

I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I had a blighted ovum previously.  I think your doctor is right for not doing any blood draws.  The blood tests just measure your HCG levels which will still be high even if it's a blighted ovum.  Now they are just looking to see if a fetal pole develops.   I had just a sac and some light bleeding off and on.  Once we waited long enough to determine that nothing was going to develop we waited two weeks to miscarry.  I did not miscarry naturally so I took misoprostol (cytotec) to induce the miscarriage.

I've passed blood throughout the day today when I go to the bathroom and wipe. I had a larger size clot, size of a quarter, pass and also something that looked like a pea shell (like a little sac). Do you think this could be it?

Its possible. I'm very sorry your going through this. I was in the same situation. The u/s showed a gestational sac but at the time was too early for a heartbeat. So I was waiting a week for my next u/s when I started to bleed a lot. I called my doctors office and they moved up the u/s. Which is my suggestion. Call and let them know what you're passing and see if they can get you in. I do understand why they are not drawing blood to check the levels. They can still be rising like mine were during the beginning of my mc.
    ETA: Looks like when I quote from my phone it adds some extra stuff. Sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"