Toddlers: 24 Months+

Normal or should I be seeing a speech therapist?

I go to the pedi for Arianna next week so I will ask her but I want your opinions and maybe this is just normal 2 1/2 year old behavior.

But recently when Luca talks he says the first word he wants to say over and over. Kind of like a stutter?

example, " I I I I want this. etc.

Not every time but sometimes. today it seems to be happening more and more.

thoughts?

thank you.

Suzanne & Pasquale 9/9/07
Our Journey in Blog.
My Blog
Our Sweet boy Luca Salvatore 10/6/10 & Our precious daughter, Arianna Regina 4/9/13

Re: Normal or should I be seeing a speech therapist?

• wedseptwedsept member
    It is very common and normal.  It happened to my DD when she was around 2, but it normally happens to kids when they are around 3.  I asked my pedi about it.  I also read about it.  She told me that we are supposed to ignore it (same thing the books said); otherwise, she will end up shuttering all the time.  Basically, it happens because they are thinking faster than they could speak, which is why they shutter in the beginning of the words. No need for a speech therapist.  BTW--at age 3, she no longer stutters.  Sometimes it happens before the age of 3 to kids who are actually advanced in speech.   
  • Normal - her brain is thinking faster than her speech. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Like above PP, everything I have heard about toddlers stuttering is that it is completely normal, but to keep an eye on it. I follow this woman's blog, and she wrote about stuttering in her LO, maybe check it out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Team normal
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My DH does that too, like he's trying to figure out the next word.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Normal, it will most likely pass!  I've known a lot of young children who do go through a stuttering stage and none of them have had any long term issues.  I'd still ask your doc about it for some piece of mind if you're going to see him/her anyway.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• We are seeing a speech therapist for speech delay and asked about it and she said that it's completely normal at this age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    My 3 year old does this. It seems like it happens more often when she's in a hurry or really excited. Her doctor said that it's completely normal. I just ignore it and do not try to correct her or complete her thought.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Totally normal at this age. 

DD does it too, particularly when she's excited about something.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • aandgaandg member
    imagepitterpatter129:

Normal - her brain is thinking faster than her speech. :)

Yep, DS used to do this sometimes too. I wouldn't worry about it. 

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Normal. DD did it and DS does it, too. His stutter was so bad that I was still concerned even though I knew it could be "normal," but it's already gotten a lot better over the last couple of months. Now he's mostly just doing it when he's really excited about something. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"