January 2013 Moms

Eye opening experience/ work vent

So I recently started a new nursing job at a state hospital/developmental disability center. DH is in psychology, and works at this same facility as a behavioral support analyst; I am a nurse with a psych background. I just completed my second week, and I am feeling the need to vent. The male population I am working with ranges from moderate to severe developmental disabilities, some also suffer from psychological disorders (more so the higher functioning population). It is so sad that this population is so often forgotten. The last two days I oriented in a lower functioning area with men that are almost complete care; I watch my 4.5 month old hit milestones that fifty year old men have not hit, and may not ever. It is such a wonderful feeling to know I am making even the smallest difference in the life of individuals that were dropped off at a young age, and left to the state ( a small amount still have parents or relatives that are their guardians/ active). This just all puts life into a different perspective, and makes me so thankful that thus far I have had a happy healthy baby to come home to after work (because there are so many people that don't and are not always reasons why). Thanks for listening! Hope everyone's babies are happy and healthy Smile

Re: Eye opening experience/ work vent

• I work with kids with low-incedence disabilities so I see some of the same unfortunate instances. My DD is actually developmentally more advanced than a few of our students. Working in my classroom has made me SO grateful to have a healthy babe (though it made me a nervous wreck while pregnant!) When she's super fussy and drives me crazy I just breathe and remind myself how lucky I am to have a healthy child!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"