Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Chicken pox *Updated*

So my daycare provider just phoned to inform me that one of the kids' siblings has the chicken pox. This kid has not been in the daycare, only his brother who has been vaccinated.

2 questions:

1. Can a child that has been vaccinated still carry the chicken pox and pass it to other children?

2. DD is just about to hit 15 months, so she hasn't had her shot against chicken pox yet (she's supposed to get it tuesday). Should I be worried?

ETA: Just in case someone else comes across this:

I called our telehealth line, and they said that the chance of her getting chicken pox without direct exposure was possible, but low, but they recommended that I get DD vaccinated as soon as possible, since she's already 15 months (her 15 month shot appointment was for next tuesday). They said that getting the shot within 3 days of exposure, the shot should still be 95% effective, within 3-5 days, it would still be 70% effective. Either way, if she gets the shot before she gets the chickenpox, then it can lessen the effects of it if she does get it.

Soooo... I went to the closest walk-in clinic, and the nice doctor there gave her the shot, so, here's to hoping that we fall within the 0-3 days range, because we're not sure how long the child's brother had it before they brought it to my daycare provider's attention.

Re: Chicken pox *Updated*

• vrj0522vrj0522 member

I think he can but that's probably a question for your pedi.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• wedseptwedsept member
    I think you can be a carrier to chicken pox, but not actually get it--which would mean that your non-vaccinated LO can get it, but you should confirm with your pedi.  I would call first thing tomorrow morning and find alternative care (if you can). 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am in my 30s and just got the chicken pox vaccine last month (my LO did too). I wouldn't worry about it too much. 
  • Good luck with just getting the shot. I hope she does not catch it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageblushingbride_08:
    I am in my 30s and just got the chicken pox vaccine last month (my LO did too). I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Well, the funny thing is that when my daycare provider phoned me, I wasn't worried about it. My brother had chickenpox on his first birthday, I had them when I was 6, and when we were children, no one got vaccinations for chickenpox. In fact, a lot of parents would go so far as to try to get their kids to get chickenpox young since the older you get, the worse it can be, and we all survived just fine. I'm usually very laid back about this type of stuff.

What got me kind of freaked out is that she told me that when she told one of the other moms about the kid's sibling, that mom FLIPPED OUT and yelled at my daycare provider loud enough the entire street could hear. Her son is 3 years old, and she lied on her form to my daycare provider and told her that all her son's shots were up to date, when in reality, he hasn't had the varicella vaccine, which he should have received at 15 months... and he is now 3. This mom is a twit for many other reasons, but I actually feel bad for my daycare provider since this mom reamed her out... but I mean, it's not my daycare provider's fault that this mom didn't get her kid vaccinated and lied about it.

So anyway, after hearing that this mom flipped out, I started to think... Should I be more worried about this? The answer to that, is no, probably not, but I had the opportunity to get the vaccine, so that is what we did. 

• Wow that other mom is a twit. How is your DCP supposed to control a) people who aren't really vaccinated as they say they are aka the complainer's child, b) kids getting sick - even a kid who is vaccinated can get sick, kids just get sick sometimes! and c) kids getting sick who aren't even in her charge. She told you all about it, what else is she supposed to do?

Sounds like you've done everything you can do so that's really great actually.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• imageMustardseed2007:

Wow that other mom is a twit. How is your DCP supposed to control a) people who aren't really vaccinated as they say they are aka the complainer's child, b) kids getting sick - even a kid who is vaccinated can get sick, kids just get sick sometimes! and c) kids getting sick who aren't even in her charge. She told you all about it, what else is she supposed to do?

Sounds like you've done everything you can do so that's really great actually.

I know it's ridiculous... and even worse, twit mom is a teacher at an elementary school... you would think she'd have run in to children being sick before. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"