Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Crazy fear that my baby is growing too fast!

On the one hand, I'm scared. On the other hand, I feel crazy for being scared. I'm so thankful that my baby is healthy. Her doctor has no concerns. But she is big and growing so fast! I don't know how I'm going to carry her! I'm not exactly in great shape, and I have a history of lower back issues. My back is often stiff and aching by the end of the day, along with the rest of my body. I'm worried I might seriously hurt my back and be unable to care for her properly.

Last week, at 8 weeks, I took her to the doctor. She weighed 13 lbs 10 oz. I had to take her again yesterday 8 days later and she was 14 lbs 3 oz. It's already tough for me to carry her around. Poor thing suffers with acid reflux, and when she's having a painful episode, she wants to be carried and bounced and swayed. I bought a K'Tan, which so far she hates, cries when I try to put her in it, but it's too hot for us anyway. And I got an ERGObaby Sport (I like the material a lot better than the K'Tan), but she's too big for the infant insert and doesn't have the head stability yet to be carried in it without the insert. I'm looking forward to when she develops better head stability, and hopefully I can get her to like being in the ERGObaby. In the mean time, she is growing by the day, and it scares me! I hope I can be strong enough to keep up with her because I don't think there's anything else I can do to make this easier on both of us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crazy fear that my baby is growing too fast!

• Kota26Kota26 member

Sounds like my guy! He is 8 weeks now and packing on those pounds at an amazing rate; at his last appointment he was in the 65th percentile.  His next appointment is tomorrow and I am nervous that the pedi will tell us to lessen his feedings.

I also have a terrible back (I almost was not able to get an epidural from the crunchiness of my spine). I just try not to stand and hold him for long periods of time.  We rely on the boppy, swings, playmats a lot too so my back can get a break.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a big baby who grew all at once. He was in the 92nd percentile and then fell to 65% when he started crawling. I didnt babywear at home. He was my couch buddy
  • Loading the player...
  • my first dd grew really  then slowed down, it eventually evens out, dont worry so much about it
  • My daughter was about the same as yours at that age. She turned 2 in Feb and just the other day she was 31lbs. It will slow down, don't worry. :) My DD is as tall or taller than many 3 year olds, but I'm not worried about it.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • poppyc8poppyc8 member
    i have a big baby too and he didn't love the ktan but was also too big for the ergo infant insert and would fuss when i used the insert.  i ended up folding a receiving blanket and putting it under his butt while he is in the ergo so he is at the right level and supported better and now he loves it
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • emmy236emmy236 member
    imagekbruington:
    I'm not trying to be mean at all but you are really overthinking things. Wait and see what happens instead of worrying that you will get injured and won't be able to care for your baby properly. Sounds a little far fetchednbsp;to me. My LO is a giant and I have a history ofnbsp;back pain but you will get stronger and stronger so don't stress this for another minute.

I agree. Perhaps instead of focusing so much on what you can buy, maybe figure out how to get into better shape. There are great ways to strengthen your back and core with yoga, strength training, Pilates, etc. If you have a "bad" back, most good trainers can work with your doctor about what you can do to help the injury. Also doing cardio will help with endurance and feeling better and confident in your body may ease your mind about these issues. You can also be a great role model for your child and open up so many more healthy activities you can do together as they get older.
  • I have a bad bad, now with surgically removed discs. I understand you fear, but you really need to chill... And get fit.

My 8 week old is 15 pounds, and I'm only a little over a year out from my surgery.

Get fit. Start exercising. Do some yoga, core workouts, or hire a trainer. Lot of gyms have daycare centers so you can bring LO with you.

The ONLY way to help your back is to strengthen it. Carrying / wearing your LO is actually really good for you. Perhaps you can ice it after LO goes to sleep? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"