Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

D and C follow up appt

Hi ladies,

I had my D and C on 5/18/2013.  I was 8 weeks 3 days when I started to bleed heavily and went to ER and said it was incomplete so they did a D and C.  Anywho, I have my follow up appt with my OB a week from today.  I am just wondering what to expect.  Has anyone been to their OB since their D and C?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: D and C follow up appt

• Options

Mine took a lot of blood to run a variety of tests on me - tested my thyroid, tested for a clotting disorder, some other things I can't remember, and tested to see where my betas were. They want them to reach zero.

They also did an internal ultrasound to see how everything looks - make sure your cervix is closed, make sure your uterus has thinned, make sure you have no clots or anything in your uterus. She also referred me to another perinatal doctor who is going to work to evaluate if we need to do anything different next time. I may have received this referral just b/c I said I wanted to try again right away, but it's one other thing we talked about.

The thing I remember the most about my first follow up visit was how hard it was to walk down the hall. It wasn't even the baby pictures or pregnant ladies that bothered me, it was the memory of the last visit that had gone so horribly. For that reason, I would try and go with someone - your DH, your mom, or some one else. For me that helped at least.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options
    Thank you for all the information.  I would like to try again right away so I'm glasd you mentioned that.  I will bring that up to my doctor and see what he advises.  And I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm just hoping really to get closure from this appt also.  We should be getting the pathology results back from the D and C.  Anywho, thanks again for the information.

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you. I should have said this before, but I am so sorry for your loss too. It just sucks and I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

One other thing, just so you know, I did get the pathology back at my first follow up, but I have yet to get the results of the genetic test they did. I had my D&C May 8.

Also, I've had to have two follow ups since the D&C and will have to go back at least one more time. However, you may get away with just one or two vists if everything looks normal with your blood work and ultrasound.

\image  image

• Options
    Goodness!  Well hopefully things look good at the first appt.  I just can't imagine missing this much work.  I ended up basically taking a week off after the D and C because I was just an emotional wreck.  Physically I think I am finally done bleeding which is nice, but emotionally I still have my moments.  I have a lot of pregnant friends on Facebook and it is gut wrenching to see their ultrasound pics or baby's progress things.  Although I am completely happy for them, I am crushed inside and completely jealous.  Sigh.. I know it will get easier with time (which is what I keep hearing) but I just want to feel better now!

• Options

imageshaddox16:
    Just FYI. My follow up was totally different. I had a missed miscarriage at almost 10 weeksbaby stopped developing at around 6.5 weeks. Had DC that went well. Doc said was able to get everything. Pretty easy recovery. Stopped bleeding and discharge after 10 days. Follow up at 2 weeks post. Everything was fine with exam. Doc said I was cleared for everything including sex. Suggested I wait til I got my first cycle to ttc again. Said my levels should drop to zero if have not already but was not going to check unless I did not start my next period. Said should come anywhere from 28 weeks. Maybe cause was my first miscarriage, no cause known. All my bloodwork/ultrasound normal. Doc seems to think at this point we should not have trouble ttc and should be good next time. Of course could be something underlying. My doc doesn't run tests til 3 miscarriages in a row. Just thought I would share in case your appointment didn't involve lots of tests, etc. and I am perfectly ok with my docs advice. But of course this is considering my personal situation and experience. GL to you and so sorry for your loss. I hope everything goes well for you.

First, I am sorry for your loss as well.  Second, thank you for this information.  Because I probably would have freaked if they didn't run a bunch of tests if I didn't see this post.  This was my first pregnancy so I could be in the same boat as you.  I guess we will see!

• Options
    Huh. I didn't know the tests and follow ups were not the norm...interesting.

\image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"