August 2013 Moms

Clothes after birth?

This has probably been discussed before, but I wanna discuss it again! Wink

What are you wearing after the birth? During, of course the gown is what is worn. During the rest of your stay, do you plan on wearing the hospital gown, or bringing something else to wear?

I remember the HUGE pads are like riding a dang horse, I am not sure that I could have managed to even put pants/shorts on comfortably. So maybe a nursing gown or comfy PJs?

Re: Clothes after birth?

• Soleil3Soleil3 member
    You know, I didn't even wear a gown for my last labor. I wore a nursing bra which was a poor choice since it is a continuous circle band, not a snap apart band, so after the labor it ended up hanging on the iv thing I was attached to for some reason. I was pretty much naked in bed wrapped in a sheet, and then after I finally got up and showered I put on some sweats and a camisole.
    image image

• I brought clothes when I had DD but never changed out of the hospital gown. I'll probably do the same this time. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm having a homebirth this time, so probably just a t-shirt.

With my daughter, I had her in the hospital. I stayed in the gown during labor. After delivery I put on an oversized t-shirt I brought. The next days I also wore an oversized t-shirt, plus loose pj pants.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• I'm planning on a cami and pj/sweat bottoms. 

• I'll just wear the hospital gowns. I was such a mess last time. No sense in wrecking perfectly good pjs. I'll bring some yoga pants and tshirt for going home. Maybe a cute wrap to throw on for pics.
  • I wore a loose pj dress after both births. I really liked it for comfort and ease of nursing. It was kind of old ladyish, but super comfortable
    Tara
  • Most of my family lives close by and will be visiting us in the hospital. I'm bringing a pair of baggy yoga pants and a zip up hoodie to wear over/under my hospital gown. I may even pull my hair back for them. ;)
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • The hospital gown or a dress. All my pjs are pant/shorts and I don't want any pressure on the csection scar when in the hospital, plus they are consistantN inge in to push/look at my stomach. But I will definitely be in the gown until the first time I shower. I remember feeling so dirty and gross until then.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • I think I'm going w/ a pair of Old Navy black gaucho pants and a nursing tank for after, then leggings and a long t-shirt for going home. Quick and comfy.
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • I'm planning on having a home birth, so my response might be a little different. During I'll either wear my swimsuit top (if I get in the pool) or I'll wear a tank top (that's what I did with #1). I bought a pretty (and overpriced) matching postpartum pj set from Motherhood that I'll wear right after. It came with pants, a nursing tank and robe. Last time I threw on whatever t-shirt was closest and didn't think about pictures ;-)
  • I bought a nursing gown and lightweight cotton robe for after the delivery just thought I would be more comfortable.
  • I'll probably buy a few nursing gowns to wear at the hospital during my stay.  To leave I think I'll probably put on some maternity shorts (I feel weird about wearing a giant pad with no pant support) and a nursing top.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• imageV&G101808:

I'll probably put on some maternity shorts (I feel weird about wearing a giant pad with no pant support) 

I was thinking this same thing... I'll want SOMETHING there. 

Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• I'm planning on bringing a nightgown that will be easy to nurse in and a robe to cover up with when we have visitors.  Neither of these items are my "good" PJ's so I don't care if they get ruined.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I wore the gown the entire time until the last day when I finally took a shower and put on some loose yoga pants.  It was just easier since they are checking you constantly and you are bleeding a lot.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Hospital gown when its just me and DH.  I'll bring a robe I wore after I had DD to wear when I have visitors.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • imagemommabmb:
    imageV&G101808:

I'll probably put on some maternity shorts (I feel weird about wearing a giant pad with no pant support) 

I was thinking this same thing... I'll want SOMETHING there. 

You'd think, but I felt the opposite. I either needed something incredibly tight so it felt like it was offering even just a little bit of support, or not at all. Loose yoga pants made me feel like I had a giant wad in my pants.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used the hospitals nursing gown afterwards. It closed in the back, and it was pretty comfortable.

Like the pp, I could not stand wearing loose pants after delivery. They had to be more fitted, or gone. Otherwise, I felt like I had a huge wad of something in my pants and it was super annoying.

I always take my nursing tank top, but I never end up using it until we are ready to head home.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• I am going to just use the gown that the hospital provides and save my PJs for home. I will probably bring my own robe, though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Last time I stayed in the gown until I showered right before being discharged (C-Section) then I changed into yoga pants and a tank. This time it will all depend on whether I get my VBAC or not. I will bring probably yoga capris and a comfy shirt to change into once I can if I do VBAC, if RCS then gown until shower time again. I wear thongs all the time so last time I completely forgot that I would need underwear for pads!! Plus the emerg CS, I had to send my mom out to buy the biggest granny panties she could find.
    Married - July 2010, DD - April 2011, #2 EDD August 10, 2013
  • Probably a light maternity dress for going home. It will be 10000 degrees outside when baby is born.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I brought huuuuge sweat pants and a decentish top. I wore the gown up until I showered, then I changed into my own comfy clothes. I ended up walking down to the Starbucks the day after and I don't think many people would have wanted to see my and huge diaper shorts they put you in
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • Yoga pants and a tank top
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Haven't thought about it too much. I have this silky VS black robe I was thinking of wearing over a nursing tank possibly. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• I hadn't even thought about this, but my guess is yoga pants and tee or tank, and maybe throw in a maxi dress? I really don't know though.
    image"">imageimageimage

• I just wore the gowns..didn't wanna mess up any of my stuff but going home maternity yoga pants and a t shirt
  • I just packed pajamas/lounge clothing for the hospital. I'm pretty sure the hospital will be freezing, so I packed flannel pajama bottoms and a hoodie. I also packed a dress to wear going home.

• After DD was born I wore yoga pants and a nursing cami with a sweater over it. I had thought I would stay in the gown, but it was really frustrating to try to snap/unsnap the shoulders of it every time I tried to nurse DD so I was happy to put on my nursing cami after I was able to shower. My yoga pants also felt like the helped hold that saggy belly together! I'll do the same this time.
  • Probably the same thing I wore last time, loose yoga pants and a cami.
  • imageBelhurstBride:
    I brought clothes when I had DD but never changed out of the hospital gown. I'll probably do the same this time.nbsp;

This
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• I was planning on bringing yoga pants/sweats and a comfy tshirt for afterwards, maybe a slightly nicer shirt for pictures.  But I'm a FTM and have no idea :)

Random semi-related question.  Has anyone been able to wear a t-shirt while in labor?  either instead of or underneath the hospital gown?  I have a huge pet peeve with hospital gowns (really really really hate them) and really hate the nakedness/tons of skin thing with delivery and would feel more comfortable wearing a loose tshirt under the hospital gown.  Do you ladies think that will be a huge problem?  I'm thinking I would just wear it and refuse to take it off...  what do you think?  Has anyone worn a tshirt or tank top under the gown? 

• imageColgate1:

I was planning on bringing yoga pants/sweats and a comfy tshirt for afterwards, maybe a slightly nicer shirt for pictures.  But I'm a FTM and have no idea :)

Random semi-related question.  Has anyone been able to wear a t-shirt while in labor?  either instead of or underneath the hospital gown?  I have a huge pet peeve with hospital gowns (really really really hate them) and really hate the nakedness/tons of skin thing with delivery and would feel more comfortable wearing a loose tshirt under the hospital gown.  Do you ladies think that will be a huge problem?  I'm thinking I would just wear it and refuse to take it off...  what do you think?  Has anyone worn a tshirt or tank top under the gown? 

I am pretty certain you can't wear anything under the gowns. I had an IV and an epidural, I couldn't have worn anything under. If you needed to be rushed into an emergency csection, they would have to take the time to take your clothes off. So, I don't think it is a good idea.

Also, some hospitals won't even let you bring your own gown, they make you wear the ones from the hospital. You can always call and ask though.

• imageColgate1:

That's really going to depend on hospital policy. Some don't give a sh!t what you wear, others have tons of rules. I'd ask when you do your tour.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am planning to wear something comfortable. Probably some basketball shorts or pajamas from home.
    imageimageimageimage

• Last time I wore the gown the whole time because it seemed easier, but I felt blah about it. I might try to change this time into some kind of nursing night gown or something. I think pants might be annoying for when the nurses come and check you.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • LADY324LADY324 member

I ordered some cheap stuff from Walmart so if it gets ruined I won't care.  Here are the links to the things I got.

I bought this in both colors and then I ordered matching robes for them 1 in purple and 1 in turquiose.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Earth-Angels-Maternity-Baby-Me-2-Piece-Set/19235694

My friend just had a baby and recommended this set to me.  I just bought this today.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FAST-TRACK-Dream-Cafe-Maternity-Nursing-PJ-Set/22834288

Here are the robes I ordered super cheap and very comfy and light weight for the summer!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-3-4-Sleeve-Lightweight-Terry-Robe/14239006

Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageBelhurstBride:imageColgate1:

That's really going to depend on hospital policy. Some don't give a sh!t what you wear, others have tons of rules. I'd ask when you do your tour.  

unfortunately, my hospital doesn't give tours anymore.  only virtual tours online.  i feel like if i call and ask it'll call attention to the issue or something.  i guess ill just plan on wear my tshirt and go apeshit if they try to make me take it off :)  

• imageThat.Just.Happened:
    I wore the gown the entire time until the last day when I finally took a shower and put on some loose yoga pants.  It was just easier since they are checking you constantly and you are bleeding a lot.

This. But this time we will actually have some visitors, because my IL's are coming out to watch DS so they'll bring him in to visit. I might bring a nightgown.. it's just easier to have it open at the bottom since they're constantly coming in to check you. 

• lisamoelisamoe member

I wore and plan to wear a robe over hospital gown.

Last time I wore yoga pants and shirt and had some leakage problems with pp bleeding, so now I'm not going to ruin my clothes only the hospitals ;)

I do want a robe though, so I don't feel exposed to visitors.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"