Preemies
Options

Another one of those preemie joys no one tells you about...

Today my 9 month old, former 26 weeker, got circumcised. I thought the worst part would be handing him over to be out under anesthesia and then waiting to hear if he came out breathing on his own, which he did thank goodness. I was wrong. Holy screaming! This is terrible. He's on hydrocodone and ibuprofen and still wakes up screaming and will randomly scream when awake. Like to the point of his face turning purple. Completely inconsolable. I feel so bad for him because it looks like it hurts really bad. Anyone go through a late circumcision? I'm just curious when the pain will go away and I'll get my happy talkative baby back.

Re: Another one of those preemie joys no one tells you about...

• Options
    Nope. Sorry. DS is uncut and we have every intention in keeping it that way. He has had some surgeries, though, and was inconsolable for a few days afterwards. One of which was a hernia repair surgery, but hr wasn't even rolling over at that point so there wasn't any constant irritation from moving or anything. Sorry.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSamJustice:
    Nope. Sorry. DS is uncut and we have every intention in keeping it that way. He has had some surgeries, though, and was inconsolable for a few days afterwards. One of which was a hernia repair surgery, but hr wasn't even rolling over at that point so there wasn't any constant irritation from moving or anything. Sorry.

PP, not sure if was your intention or not, but your first couple statements come off a bit judgemental.  

OP, not sure it it was on this board or babycenter, but I know I've seen other posts about circs performed on older LO's.  Did the nurses talk to you about what to expect afterwards? I know sometimes kids (even adults) can be a bit out of sorts while the anesthesia works it way completely out of the system. Not exactly the same, but my DS had his circ a few days before discharge, so probably around 53 days old or so.  He didn't have anesthesia and it was a plastibell circumcision, which means it stays in place until the rest of the foreskin falls off.  My son was a bit of a grump for a several hours, but then really didn't seem to be bothered by it. Hoping your little guy feels better soon!

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagerednelson:

imageSamJustice:

PP, not sure if was your intention or not, but your first couple statements come off a bit judgemental.  

OP, not sure it it was on this board or babycenter, but I know I've seen other posts about circs performed on older LO's.  Did the nurses talk to you about what to expect afterwards? I know sometimes kids (even adults) can be a bit out of sorts while the anesthesia works it way completely out of the system. Not exactly the same, but my DS had his circ a few days before discharge, so probably around 53 days old or so.  He didn't have anesthesia and it was a plastibell circumcision, which means it stays in place until the rest of the foreskin falls off.  My son was a bit of a grump for a several hours, but then really didn't seem to be bothered by it. Hoping your little guy feels better soon!

Agree with bolded. Obviously, circumcision can be a very controversial subject (more so on TB then anywhere else) but the OP was asking for advice regarding recovery from the surgery.

DS1 has his circ at 12 months, along with some other surgery on his penis. His pain was bad for about 24 hrs & then it just turned around. I think some of his upset was from the general anesthesia & not even pain, it just made him crazy. Are you alternating the ibuprofen & hydrocodone instead of taking them at the same time? It helps if they're staggered so he's getting something every 2-3 hrs. Hopefully he'll turn around really soon & start feeling better! Make sure you're keeping plenty of Vaseline or whatever they gave you on it because its really bad if it gets stuck to the diaper! Let me know if you have any other questions, hang in there! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JennZKJennZK member
    It was a medical desision to circ him. He had abundant foreskin and several doctors decided that it was best to prevent future infections if he was circ'd. So that takes the controversy out of it.
    As for meds, last night I was staggering the hydro and ibuprofen. Before bed he didn't seem in any pain after the hydro wore off so I just have him Tylenol hoping to help him get a good nights sleep, which he did, thankfully. This morning he didn't seem to mind the diaper change when I was loading him up with Vaseline and bacitracin so I don't think it hurts. Weird. But when he was eating he freaked out again and it clicked, he hasn't had a BM since Tuesday. He usually does when he's eating, weirdo I know, and that was when he was screaming. I have him a glycerin and I think we're better now.
    I'm not sure what was hurting him when pushing because it wasn't hard, but it was hurting him. Hopefully that solves the bad screaming.
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    imageBostonKisses2:

imageJennZK:
    It was a medical desision to circ him. He had abundant foreskin and several doctors decided that it was best to prevent future infections if he was circ'd. So that takes the controversy out of it. As for meds, last night I was staggering the hydro and ibuprofen. Before bed he didn't seem in any pain after the hydro wore off so I just have him Tylenol hoping to help him get a good nights sleep, which he did, thankfully. This morning he didn't seem to mind the diaper change when I was loading him up with Vaseline and bacitracin so I don't think it hurts. Weird. But when he was eating he freaked out again and it clicked, he hasn't had a BM since Tuesday. He usually does when he's eating, weirdo I know, and that was when he was screaming. I have him a glycerin and I think we're better now. I'm not sure what was hurting him when pushing because it wasn't hard, but it was hurting him. Hopefully that solves the bad screaming. Thanks ladies!

First, ::big hugs::.  Seeing your LO go in for surgery, especially after everything they've already been through, is rough.

Second, please don't feel like you have to justify what you did just because someone came off as judgmental to your OP!  Medical or elective, choosing to circ or not circ is so personal, and it's nobody's business what you decide to do.  You're following the advice of your LO's docs, and doing what you and they feel is best for his situation.

Having a hard time pooping makes total sense for the extra fussiness!  Surgery can sometimes do that, and if you're backed up after surgery in the pelvic region, it can hurt if there's straining going on.  If he continues to strain and it's bothering him, maybe try talking to his doc and see if you could do something like juice or even miralax to make things a little easier for him.

Yes

I believe that narcotics (like hydrocodone) can cause constipation. Can you give him some prunes or prune juice? Hope he feels better soon!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    JennZKJennZK member
    Now I'm thinking his throat hurts. Possible side effect from anesthesia maybe? Trial and error and hope it can only get better. Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    imagemcarter127:
    imagerednelson:

imageSamJustice:

Agree with bolded. Obviously, circumcision can be a very controversial subject (more so on TB then anywhere else) but the OP was asking for advice regarding recovery from the surgery.

DS1 has his circ at 12 months, along with some other surgery on his penis. His pain was bad for about 24 hrs & then it just turned around. I think some of his upset was from the general anesthesia & not even pain, it just made him crazy. Are you alternating the ibuprofen & hydrocodone instead of taking them at the same time? It helps if they're staggered so he's getting something every 2-3 hrs. Hopefully he'll turn around really soon & start feeling better! Make sure you're keeping plenty of Vaseline or whatever they gave you on it because its really bad if it gets stuck to the diaper! Let me know if you have any other questions, hang in there! 

I do apologize for coming off that way. It was definitely not my intention. Circumcision is a personal choice and none of anyone else's business. I just wanted op to be aware that ds has gone through similar pain, but nothing exactly like that.

So again. I'm sorry I came off snobby, ladies. It didn't sound so bad in my head haha
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JennZKJennZK member
    imageBostonKisses2:

imageJennZK:
    Now I'm thinking his throat hurts. Possible side effect from anesthesia maybe? Trial and error and hope it can only get better. Thank you everyone!

That could be from the intubation during surgery.  I know my throat was a bit sore after my c/s (they had to use general anesthesia), but it cleared up in a few days.  It definitely could be a trial and error situation!  Is he on solids yet?  You could try freezing a puree in an ice cube tray and putting it in a mesh feeder, allowing him to chomp on it.  The cold would help soothe his throat. 

Frozen bananas I made last week should do it! Great idea thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"