Working Moms
Options

How to balance it all. . .

My husband and I both work full time. We have one beautiful little girl (16mos) and are expecting another in 4 weeks. I am in retail management and work on a rotating schedule. I was on the fast track prior to the arrival of my first daughter and got noticed for my accomplishments. Since I became a mom and had a shift in priorities I feel like I am struggling to balance my time and commitments. As I get closer to the arrival of DD2 it is simply worse. I'm really beginning to doubt my ability to handle all of what I'll need to.

I am hoping that once I have DD2 I'll be able to regroup and refocus. I don't know how much of what I am feeling is just the stress of the unknown and just anxiety leading up to the arrival of number 2. All I know at the moment is that I need this job and income and I'm extremely anxious as to how to balance it all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to balance it all. . .

• Options
    I'm having a hard time balancing too.  I'm temporarily a single mom (army wife) and working full-time.  Prior to DS, I was always behind in my paperwork and never felt like I could ever get caught up.  I am a teacher and having the summer off didn't seem to help.  I feel like this year was worse (which I didn't think was possible).  I'm hoping this summer I really take the time to regroup so I don't have a repeat of this school year. 

• Options

I don't try.  I have the same 24 hours/day that I did when I didn't have a child.  I couldn't work full time and have a child and feel like I was doing both well.  Speaking for myself.  So I went part-time at my job - working mostly mornings only.  It means less salary.  It means less promotion opportunities.  I'm okay with that.

Having kids doesn't give you more hours in the day.  You have to pick and choose and that's what I chose. 

DS/LO #1: Born March 2012 DS/LO #2: On his way! Due October 2013 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStayingSecret:
    I don't try. nbsp;I have the same 24 hours/day that I did when I didn't have a child. nbsp;I couldn't work full time and have a child and feel like I was doing both well. nbsp;Speaking for myself. nbsp;So I went parttime at my job working mostly mornings only. nbsp;It means less salary. nbsp;It means less promotion opportunities. nbsp;I'm okay with that.Having kids doesn't give you more hours in the day. nbsp;You have to pick and choose and that's what I chose.nbsp;

I love this! Never thought of it this way. What a great perspective.
    I've been struggling to balance it all myself. I just figure of i didn't do a great job today, I'll try to do better tomorrow.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    You can do it!  Adding a NB to the mix will be chaotic while you are finding your routine again. Remember it gets easier as they grow older. Pick and choose your battles. Your laundry may pile up one week or your floors go unclean a next.  Let some things go. Or if you can afford to hire outside help.  Having a weekly lawn and cleaning service has helped me tremendously.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thedashthedash member
    I had a very demanding career with long hours and I cut back after having DS. I am nervous about what I have done to my career prospects but it has been the best thing for our family. Now with number 2 on the way I am so glad I made a change. I took a pay cut to do this and we live a very frugal life but are still able to pay our bills, save for college and retirement, etc.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    KisstyKissty member
    Is there such as thing as balancing it all?  I only have one and have a hard time balancing it all.  Some weeks the laundry backs up or I don't get the floor mopped on the day I wanted to, but you know what?  It's there the next day. As my son gets older I do see that it is getting easier.  Some days don't go as planned but it happened like that before DS too.  I do what I can when I can.  Son is happy and loved.  He doesn't notice if I don't get the laundry put away until the next day.  It will be choatic at first.  Think back to your first child.  Eventually you'll get into a routine that works for you and your family.  Mommy hormones are crazy.  Chin up & congrats on your second.

imageimage 

• Options
    KL777KL777 member
    imageStayingSecret:

I don't try.  I have the same 24 hours/day that I did when I didn't have a child.  I couldn't work full time and have a child and feel like I was doing both well.  Speaking for myself.  So I went part-time at my job - working mostly mornings only.  It means less salary.  It means less promotion opportunities.  I'm okay with that.

Having kids doesn't give you more hours in the day.  You have to pick and choose and that's what I chose. 

Exactly!  Speaking for myself, I reduced the majority of my hours too when DS was in preschool (I SAH the first 3 years).  Now that he'll be in kindergarten this year, my hours will be a more traditional 40 hours.  I still do part-time though during the summer.

As a pp also mentioned, it does take some time to get into a good routine, so try to find what works for you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    Staying organized, delegating out things (like asking DH to do things or run errands or when family is visiting asking for help), and online shopping are my savors (Amazon prime 2 day delivery so I stay out of the stores). Also, learning to say No and that's okay and realizing that my time with the kids is quality - not quantity. I work part time so I'm with them a lot but a lot has to be done too so I get really playful and interactive with them at the park for 45 minutes but then I balance it out by having them watch tv while i cook dinner or do dishes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"