November 2012 Moms

Cartoons

Do you let LO watch cartoons? We watch about 20 minutes of cartoons every morning and snuggle in bed. It's one of my favorite times with him. But I worry a little about him watching it. But then I think it's a short amount of time and its the only time throughout the day he watches anything. Do you do it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cartoons

• Yep my kid watches them. His big brother does and he is in the room so he sees it. We pretty much limit it to mornings while we're getting ready though. We just try to do lots of other play the rest of the day so I don't think it will damage them too much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. I let LO watch either a 20 min episode of Veggie Tales on youtube or 10-15 min worth of songs from Veggie Tales on youtube. Same goes for us, it's the only time I let him watch it is if I want a few extra min of sleep in the morning or he is being fussy and is fighting sleep. He doesn't (read: I don't let him) watch it every day.   

Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, we let M watch 30 minutes of Disney Junior before dinner.

• I wouldn't say H really "watches" it. I will admit to turning on a Phonics tv show or something else like that, in the mornings for about 20 minutes. H is laying on the floor with his toys while it is on. I take that time to put in a load if laundry, feed the dogs, get supper prepped, etc. If he gets bored with his toys he does focus on the tv but I've only seen him do that a few times.

I don't feel bad about it because we play hard and read the rest of the day.

• DH is a SAHD and sometimes watches tv w/ LO for the sake of his sanity. They watched the Smurfs movie last week, and yesterday he introduced LO to Star Wars. They will watch a movie in little sections and it can take a day or two to finish.

DH is downloading lots of kids movies. I think he is secretly happy he gets to watch all of those cool Pixar movies now. He sounded a little too excited about Toy Story 2 when he was talking about it last night. lol

BabyFruit Ticker

• K "watches" ESPN and the History channel. I don't see the big deal at this point. He is easily distracted from it, much like any other 6 month old.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • T only watches SuperWhy in the morning with Q, doesn't necessarily pay attention the whole time but we do it every morning like clock work, then its playtime!
    V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageuconnhuskie007:
    no we dont/nbsp; at this age i see no reason to.nbsp; When a cup or rattle is totally fascinating, why mess with that and introduce cartoons?nbsp; On the other hand, i don't judge if parents do and admittedly my kiddos is pretty easy and i dont have the need

This. I usually turn off the tv if she looks at it but its prob not abig deal.,I am also a teacher . Ask me again in sept when I go back to work and see if i give the same answer lol!
  • A watches cartoons every morning for about 15 minutes while mom and dad get ready for work, but he isn't necessarily watching it the whole time. He is in his exersaucer and it just happens to be on. Works out for us. DH will also watch superhero cartoons with him every Sun morning. DH loves it.

• No, we don't have the TV on when LO is awake anymore.  We did initially when she was super little, but now that she is notices it, we keep it off when she's around.  This will probably stop during football season, though-- she'll likely be in the same room while the football games are on sometimes.

• we don't, but I think if LO were not desperately trying to crawl and get into everything we might. She is just a serious busy body. I can't remember the last time I watched tv....maybe January....which sucks because I just getting into the Wire and it is seriously addictive.

That said, I'm not sure which cartoons we would watch. I'm that out of the loop. 

• imagemaven212:
    we don't, but I think if LO were not desperately trying to crawl and get into everything we might. She is just a serious busy body. I can't remember the last time I watched tv....maybe January....which sucks because I just getting into the Wire and it is seriously addictive. That said, I'm not sure which cartoons we would watch. I'm that out of the loop.nbsp;

I told DH last night that we pay 100 for cable and he watches the same movies all the time . I could buy the DVDs and we would save a lot of dough. He did not appreciate my comments !
  • imageshella923:
    I told DH last night that we pay 100 for cable and he watches the same movies all the time . I could buy the DVDs and we would save a lot of dough. He did not appreciate my comments !

Ha! - I so agree. It might  be that I have just given up hope but I can't foresee a time when I will be back to the tv...so maybe we should just cut the packages. Maybe I won't miss it. I basically use the tv to temporarily hang clothing while folding laundry anyway :)

• Nope, we adhere pretty strictly to the "no tv until age 2" guideline I read in Brain Rules For Baby. We try to keep Lindy's "screen time" to a minimum, though we do "Google hangouts" like Skype with people from time to time.

When she was really tiny, I would have the TV on in the background, but then I saw her get completely entranced by it when she had previously been acting VERY hungry, which freaked me out, so I keep it off if she's in the room/awake now.
    kids with flags
  • Nope.  No cartoons here.  We have one TV and I don't know how to use it.  I don't watch TV.  The special "deal" on cable ran out, so I cancelled.  My husband watches soccer in Spanish streaming on his laptop, plugged into the TV.  I'm okay with LO watching that, but he isn't interested.
  • N actually loves cartoons. He will just sit and stare. We do limit it though. He usually only watches them on weekends.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imagerdmitten:
    image143BabyCakes:
    K "watches" ESPN and the History channel. I don't see the big deal at this point. He is easily distracted from it, much like any other 6 month old.
    This. Yesterday, I got in A's face while he was watching baseball with DH. He leaned around me to see the TV. Just like DH does :/

Baseball and football. SO grins like an idiot when K chooses sports over me :) lol

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"