November 2012 Moms

Wills & guardianship

Who has a will? DH and I are getting ready to put ours together, and we aren't positive who to choose as guardians. How did you decide?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Wills & guardianship

• zmosszmoss member
    We are doing the same thing. We went with my H's sister and her H. Chose them bc we wanted people who shared our values and trusted to always have LJ's best interest at heart.
    imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
  • We picked based on the following factors.

Able to financially afford to take on our child(ren).

Closely resembled our parenting style.

Able to continue home schooling or ensure the child(ren) ended up in a high quality school.

Willing to expose our child to various religions.

Age appropriate and in good health. (We ruled out our parents pretty quickly based on their age/health)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I was actually thinking about this today. FI and I are torn in who to choose as guardians. There are more cons than pros it seems for everyone we think of.
  • We did this within the first few months after LO arrived. We had no doubt who would take Benjamin if something happened to us. Luckily it was an easy decision. You have to take lots into consideration. Mostly we wanted someone who would raise him with the same love, morals, and values we would.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We need to do this. How did you guys go about it? A lawyer? I have no idea.  We chose my sister but have yet to draw up a will.  She is the only one of our siblings with kids (2 daughters, and we have a daughter) and she and her husband are financially well off and highly educated. 
  • We don't have anything done. We definitely need to get on this. We haven't even really discussed it!

• We have a will, we also have set up a trust for F.  The trust would be funded by the proceeds of our life insurance, the sale of our house and DH's business.  We chose a different trustee than who his guardian is.

Choosing a guardian was difficult.  We quickly agreed that our parents were all out.  My sister and her husband would be the obvious choice. But they are financially strapped, live in a totally different part of the country than us, and are very religious. DH's sister is not a particularly desirable choice either.

So, we went with DH's best friend. He isn't married yet, but he has a long term girlfriend that we adore, and they plan to get married and have kids.  (I'm keeping a secret for him right now that involves a diamond ring!!! So excited.)  The deciding factors for us were that he is someone who adores F and would have his best interests at heart, shares our values, and is in a similar socio-economic & geographic situation as we are.

If DH's sister ever settles down and gets her act together, then we might consider changing over to her.... maybe....

ETA:  When we sat down with the friend we chose to be a guardian, we asked him if he would be willing, and framed it like we hadn't decided yet and just wanted to know if it was a possibility.  He was very open to it. Which, was great bc he was the only one we could agree on! 

We also asked him to promise to do a few things for us, like let him visit our parents a few times a year, go to the Summer camp that DH went to, I asked that he give him the opportunity to learn how to ski. Just things that were important to us to pass on to him even if we can't be there.  We wrote this stuff down and put it with our will.  We also made sure that he would keep our dog, too.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagepersephonerose:

Able to financially afford to take on our child(ren).

Closely resembled our parenting style.

ensure the child(ren) ended up in a high quality school.

Willing to expose our child to various religions.

Age appropriate and in good health. (We ruled out our parents pretty quickly based on their age/health)

This  - we chose Dh's sister, she has two kids and all of the things above, my bro would be OK but he has 3 kids instead of 2... 

• There was no doubt when we asked my younger sister to be K's guardian in an unfortunate event. She doesn't have kids. But loves them. Works with them and is an all around amazing person. She will be able to give K the life, outlook, and opportunities we want for him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"