Multiples
Options

Fused umbilical cord?

I'm 21 wks with b/g twins and in my first u/s they could only see one umbilical cord going into me. My second u/s confirmed that I did only have one umbilical cord going into me. They told me that the umbilical cords fused together. I have 2 placentas/sacs. Anyone ever hear of cords getting fused together? I haven't been able to find any information online and my next OB appt isn't till mid June.

Thanks so much :
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Fused umbilical cord?

• Options
    I don't really see how that is even possible if your babies are not in the same amniotic sac.  Very strange.  The umbilical cord attaches to the placenta, not you. I have heard of fused placentas in di/di twins, but that sounds like something different.  Are you seeing an MFM?  Hopefully they can give you some more information.
  • Options
    Well each of the babies have their own umbilical cord that attaches to them and then it turns into one and goes into me. It makes no sense to me at all.
    Sorry what does mfm stand for?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemonikamc83:
    Well each of the babies have their own umbilical cord that attaches to them and then it turns into one and goes into me. It makes no sense to me at all. Sorry what does mfm stand for?

Yes it doesn't make sense because their umbilical cords should not at all be in contact with one another if they are in separate sacs and have separate placentas.  MFM = maternal fetal medicine aka perinatologist which is a high risk OB.  Most twin moms see one throughout their pregnancy.  I would seek an opinion with one, if you haven't already. 

• Options
    Yes I'm seeing a high risk OB. Thanks for your input. I'm still not sure what to think or if this is bad. I guess I'll just have to wait till I see my OB to know more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I am on the same page as Mrs. Alice.  The cords shouldn't be in contact with one another since they are in separate sacs.  There should be a membrane separating the babies. 

I am curious to know what your MFM says.  

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"