Naps too long? — The Bump
Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Naps too long?

DS has always been a good sleeper, but for the past few weeks he went from taking a nap from about 1-3/3:30 to me having to wake him at 4:30 (bedtime is at 8).  It didn't seem to be affecting his night sleep much, but for the past few nights he's been waking up about 2 hours after being put down and crying for an hour or more before going back to sleep (we try to console him sometimes, but it only seems to make it worse so we have to just let him sort it out himself).  

My instinct says too much nap.  Thoughts? 

Anniversary

Re: Naps too long?

• What time does he wake up in the morning? DD naps consistently for three hours a day. I do wake her if she goes past 3.5 though. She also goes down close to 8 and wakes up around 7ish.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If he's waking up about 2-2.5 hours after going to sleep and is inconsolable, it's probably night terrors.  That's the right time for them, and actually the most common time statistically.  If they continue nightly, then you can try to train them out of him.  You time him nightly and once you find the true pattern, you wake him up before he has one.  You do that until they're gone and he has a pattern of waking up then.  Then, you gradually get him used to being able to go back to sleep by himself when he wakes up at that time.  
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • image Karen1998:
    If he's waking up about 2-2.5 hours after going to sleep and is inconsolable, it's probably night terrors.  That's the right time for them, and actually the most common time statistically.  If they continue nightly, then you can try to train them out of him.  You time him nightly and once you find the true pattern, you wake him up before he has one.  You do that until they're gone and he has a pattern of waking up then.  Then, you gradually get him used to being able to go back to sleep by himself when he wakes up at that time.  

This was my thought as well... 

• My kid just started the night terrors. It's scary, but I kind of gently shake her awake, rock her and then restart the bedtime routine (Put light machine back on, cover her up, kiss).

Has for the nap, my almost 2 year old has started taking longer naps. I just assumed she needs the sleep. It's summer. She's busy. There's a lot going through her mind. Just like I'm not a big fan of waking sleeping babies, I'm not a big fan of waking sleeping toddlers. I will move bedtime 20 minutes later if I have to, but waking a sleeping kid never ends well for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards