Georgia Babies

throwing food

What convinces your LO to stop throwing food?  We have tried many things and have not had any success.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: throwing food

• Mwalte4Mwalte4 member
    Ignore and redirect has always worked for us, for all behaviors that we want to stop. Good luck!
  • He gets one "mistake" as he calls it. If he does it again after that, food gets taken away and he doesn't eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekbowman78:
    He gets one "mistake" as he calls it. If he does it again after that, food gets taken away and he doesn't eat.
    This. We give 1 warning and then take away the food. Whatever follows- tantrum, crying, whining, gets totally ignored. Both kids went through this phase and we tried other tactics but nothing worked until we finally got hardcore. 1 or 2 missed meals and we were all happy campers again.

• Yeah, we have tried all that.  I am just frustrated with the whole not eating and throwing food for the sake of it thing.  Sigh.

I take the food away and then he screams to get down out of the high chair.  Taking it away does nothing.  If I let him fuss and then give it back to see if he will eat then it gets even worse and he has gone as far as throwing a whole plate.  We tell him "No" and to eat nice and he just laughs.

Ultimately, he wants down and doesn't want to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i feel for you - our 3 year old still throws food. we do the one warning and then food goes away but he doesn't really care. most of the time he pitches it because he is bored or wants attention, so basically i have to watch him like a hawk for the emergence of his *** eating grin and swoop the plates away.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Cason doesn't care when we take the food away either. It used to bug me seeing him miss meals, but I've learned not to care as much. We see a nutritionist b/c of his terrible eating and she says just to give them the food, set the limits and if they don't eat, oh well. Hopefully it's just a phase he's going through, you know, that whole toddler, "let me test mommy's limits" type of thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • K&P414K&P414 member
    imageyellowtulips80:

Yeah, we have tried all that.  I am just frustrated with the whole not eating and throwing food for the sake of it thing.  Sigh.

I take the food away and then he screams to get down out of the high chair.  Taking it away does nothing.  If I let him fuss and then give it back to see if he will eat then it gets even worse and he has gone as far as throwing a whole plate.  We tell him "No" and to eat nice and he just laughs.

Ultimately, he wants down and doesn't want to eat.

it might be then that he's not really hungry? Does he always eat at the same place? Even snacks? Maybe give him a warning the first time, take the food away the second, and then let him down if he doesn't seem like he's going to turn it around and eat. But I would try making sure he only eats in his high chair until he accepts that he has to eat and not throw food.

We went through that with Emma, she was always too busy to sit and eat and she would throw her food because she wanted out of the chair. I just traded one problem for another with her though because I started letting her sit in a regular chair and she was up and down the whole meal. But no food throwing, haha! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"