Health & Exercise

Gym daycare question

I feel like this is a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

We just signed up for a gym that has childcare. I'm a SAHM and DS has only been babysat by his grandparents, so I have no experience dealing with day care or paid sitters.

Today I went to drop DS off at gym daycare for the 1st time and he flipped out crying. I spent nearly 10 minutes trying to get him to play with toys or other kids, I finally had him distracted enough that I went to sneak out. The second I was out the door I could hear him start crying. I was about to go back in and get him and say eff the workout today when the gym manager walked by and said "just go, it's harder for them than it is for you and we'll call you if he doesn't stop". So I left. 45 minutes later I picked him up and he was playing just fine and didn't look like he'd been crying recently.

I guess my question is, should I have even spent that time trying to calm him down? Do you just leave if your LO is crying and tell the sitter to call you if he doesn't stop (that's the policy at our gym's daycare)? I kind of got the impression that the sitter was fine if I left, but she didn't make an effort to pick him up or play with him right away (which was fine, there were other kids there). WWYD in this situation?

I want this to be a positive thing for DS since he doesn't get much socialization. Thanks for reading my novel of a post Wink

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
DS born 3.12 
DD born 7.14

Re: Gym daycare question

• I think its normal behavior around that age. They will cry for a few mins and be fine a few mins later. Its new to them, but sounds like LO did fine Good news is you are super close.
  • imagetilsonc:
    I think its normal behavior around that age. They will cry for a few mins and be fine a few mins later. Its new to them, but sounds like LO did fine Good news is you are super close.

I agree. He's having separation anxiety but he will get used to it. My DD did the same thing.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's totally normal - I almost think our babies are looking to gauge our reaction to them too...if they cry and cry and we stay, well, they learn that we stay ;) Think of it this way - what amazing "practice" for both of you to be able to do this at a gym where you're literally 100 yards away :) Enjoy your workout, and baby will enjoy his "playtime" too :) It's a win win!
    Do you know what toxic chemicals are lurking in your current products? Check them at www.ewg.org. For fantastic skin, body, baby and home products WITHOUT hazardous chemicals, visit www.AvaAndersonMA.com
  • I volunteered for childcare for children age 2 years and younger at our church.  I can say that the longer the parents stay, typically the longer the kid stresses.  Once the parent goes, then I have a chance at distracting the kid and getting them to have fun.  And if not, we'll page the parent.

It's completely normal to want to stay there longer.  Almost every parent tries that.  I did that with our first many times. Don't feel bad.  Consider dropping them off for short time segments then increase the time as they become more familiar with the new environment.  Also make sure you're completely satisfied with the facilities and childcare being provided.  But I'm sure you're already doing that.

Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I worked in a gym daycare before as well as a daycare and I know that the kids are always eventually ok. However I'm a sahm now and man was it hard to leave dd at the gym daycare! Lol however she loves it now and climbs all around all the play equipment and all the children. It took about a month for her to settle in but now she loves it and now she teaches for the day care workers when intake her in. Lol

• Just drop off and go! I know its hard but she'll get over it quickly and you don't want to teach her that crying=mom returning. I've had friends whose kids never got used to the gym daycare and they could never workout. You both need/deserve an hour to yourselves! My kids loved the gym daycare, it was great play time for them and they would ask to go. 
  • DD is about 1, i just drop her and go.  sometimes she whines, but like your gym peeps said, it is much better on them, your child, and yourself to just go!  
  • Everyone is saying the same thing, but I wanted to chime in and say I was in your exact place just a few months ago.  My DD wouldn't want me to leave when I'd drop her off, but we pushed through and now when we get to the gym she goes in the kids' club, waves and says "bye mom!" - so just know that it will get easier! 
  • We went through the same thing when our LO was about 6 months old. The staff kept having to come get me out of my classes! He finally started growing out if the separation anxiety phase when he was a little over a year. Best advice is keep introducing him to situations like this because they need to learn how to cope with stress and learn that they are not being abandoned by you. When i drop DS off now i give him a hug and a kiss and tell him i love you. Its a quick but happy goodbye so that he sees im not upset or stressed about leaving him. Hang in there! It will pass :
  • My dd went through this at that age when I started bringing her to the gym daycare.  She's now 20 months and LOVES it!  I'm also a SAHM so Im glad she gets the socialization there.  What I found is the more I consoled her the more she cried.  It was almost like it justified her being upset.  So then I would just give Her a hug and kiss and when she got upset I just said..."you are being so silly". Look at all these fun toys, imgoing to excersise you go play with the kids!  I also prepared her in the morning talking about playing with the kids and asked her what she was going to do there.  And also talking about it when daddy got home so she could kind of brag about it.  I'm so glad I stuck it out because its great to be able to get a solid workout in now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"