June 2012 Moms

Is your house truly baby proof?

I feel like we've put things in all the sockets, locks on drawers, screwed things into walls, put cords out of reach, etc but there are still certain things that aren't baby proof and I kinda don't want them to be. I want DS to learn that you don't pull on that house plant instead of throwing it out til he's older. And I don't want to put the dogs water bowl up because I don't think that's fair to our dogs. What do you guys think? Is it reasonable to assume DS will learn certain things he can't play with or did you get rid of all temptation?

Re: Is your house truly baby proof?

• APriceAPrice member

Our house sounds a lot like yours. We have things in the sockets, cords protected, etc. but we still have the dog water available to our dogs and several unlocked cabinets (we do have all the cleaning products in a locked cabinet). 

Little by little he seems to be getting that there are certain things that he's not allowed to touch because they are unsafe. We just do what PP mentioned, we move him away and distract him with something else that is appropriate. There is totally a healthy curiosity there but he does seem to stay away from things he has been moved away from for the most part. The most tempting thing is the dog water (especially when the dogs go for a drink) and he has this Dennis the Menace look as he bee lines for the water. Not to mention he loves splashing in the tub so that has been out biggest challenge. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • outlets are covered and baby gates are up. that is the extent our baby proofing. we have really been trying to teach him what is okay to touch and what isn't. mostly so when we go to other people's homes he is not touching everything.

so far, so good. it has been A TON of work and LOTS of redirection but he has learned what he can touch and can't touch in our house.

he even will go near the remote, point and walk away. SUCCESS! :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • SigirSigir member
    imagestanfordt04:

outlets are covered and baby gates are up. that is the extent our baby proofing. we have really been trying to teach him what is okay to touch and what isn't. mostly so when we go to other people's homes he is not touching everything.

so far, so good. it has been A TON of work and LOTS of redirection but he has learned what he can touch and can't touch in our house.

he even will go near the remote, point and walk away. SUCCESS! :) 

wow you are my hero that your son does not eat the remote.  No matter how many pretend remotes we get dd, she is always after the real remote.  It is her fave toy.

Our house is basically baby proofed but sometimes I feel like its not enough when I read about others going to extremes.  But we pretty much always have someone watching her so I feel ok about it.   

• MsLsMsLs member
    This! My DS is obsessed with the remote. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who still wants their house to be adult friendly as well. I do need to start working with DH on how to redirect and not just say "no". I feel like that is our issue right now that DH just gets so frustrated when DS goes to things he shouldn't and instead of redirecting he just gets mad and says no. So work in progress. 
  • Meery82Meery82 member
    LOL, what is it with the remote?? My DS loves it, too!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm still working on it here. We've got the living room baby proof enough that I can leave him alone to go to the bathroom without him doing too much damage to himself or the room. I'm still working on getting the rest of the house safe. I'm just not sure it's possible. He loves unplugging things, and DH insists that the outlet covers that slide shut when not in use will not work with the Decora switch plates he installed last year. (The screw holes don't line up.)

• khill86khill86 member
    I'll admit, we really haven't done much. I moved the breakables in the lower cupboards and put all the plastic/safe containers down there, but we have no locks on them and he is allowed to pull things out. We have a gate at the top of the stairs and shut the downstairs door to the stairs. Otherwise I just keep an eye on him.

I redirect when I need to. DH knows not to just say no. It's okay so far. Although DS is starting too run, so I may be kicking myself soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have protectors in all of the outlets, but that's the extent of our actual baby proofing. We have modular furniture in our living room and can more less confine DS to that room, except when he remembers that there's a hearth and if he climbs on it then he can get into the dining area, and from there....the world.

For the most part he is pretty good if I say "Hands off! No no" and shake my head and/or move his hand away. And sometimes he'll throw a temper tantrum when I tell him something's off limits.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"