November 2012 Moms

Fluoride supplements?

Is anyone using fluoride supplements?

Why or why not?

I need to do more research on it. Our pedi didn't say much about it. Just that usually families with well water or reverse osmosis filters give their babies fluoride supplements.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fluoride supplements?

• kbl13kbl13 member

We don't have flouride in our water, but our pedi doesn't recommend supplements at this age because the baby teeth can become too brittle. He says that they get some flouride natually and suggested waiting on supplements until age 2 and then going by what the dentist says to do.

Although I really like this pedi, I do plan to get a 2nd opinion. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think the recommendation on fluoride supplements is at one year, if your baby does not drink fluoridated water.  My city isn't fluoridated, so we will start fluoride supplements at one year.

If you have well water, you need to find out if it already has fluoride in it or not, since fluoride can be naturally occurring-- you don't want to supplement on top of already having it naturally in your water.

• Loading the player...
  • tngrl3tngrl3 member

I am because I EBF so N isn't getting any fluoride through water. Pedi said that since he will get teeth soon N needs it. If you FF and your water is fluorinated, then you don't need to supplement per my doc. You should be able to find out the levels in your specific city/county. I don't always remember, most days he gets them. It's just 0.5 mL and they are peach. 

Edited because well I can't type today  

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! We just had our water tested today so I will put it on hold until I get the results.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"