Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

We also just started potty training...can I get opinions?

I never planned on starting this early - but my son has met all the "list" criteria of being ready.

He doesn't want his diaper on. He takes it off and asks to go pee in the bathroom and then loves being on the toilet or standing up to it to pee. He can hold his pee 2-3 hours. He tells me as soon as his diaper is dirty to change it and then fights putting a new one back on. He grabs my daughters underwear and tries to put them on over his diapers. He also found my daughter's potty books on his own and started asking to read them at night. 

OK...so doesn't he sound ready to try? This was all leading up to his 2nd birthday, so for his birthday I bought him his own underwear and a potty training book geared towards boys instead of girls.

The kicker is...he has NEVER peed in the toilet. And he has NEVER told me until just after he peed.."Oh, no..pee pee..clean up mess". And if I ask him where he should pee...he tells me "bathroom".

So we've just had accidents galore these past two days as we've launched the 3 Day method to kick us off.  Both Pee and Poop. I did underwear all day yesterday, (I read one 3 day method with underwear and followed that). Then today I did naked time instead, (like the original 3 day says). And I was with him and saw that there was literally 1 second of his face looking at me, then the pee shot out. Like, no warning at all. So now I'm wondering if I should be continuing on or not. I totally get that there are supposed to be a lot of accidents at first, but I don't know if its unrealistic to think he'll even have a CHANCE to tell me he has to pee, let alone me run him to the bathroom. Because as it is, I can't even make it to him to pick him up before he's already done peeing.

I clocked it...and was in the bathroom reading and playing with him, just to be ready when we were nearing the time he usually pees, and he lasted over 3 hours holding it - his longest stretch. At that point we were both dying to get out of the bathroom since we would try and try and nothing would happen. I couldn't expect him to keep his attention in there for that long, or not get frustrated. So we left to change the pace and he ran back in 3 times saying he wanted to try - but never peed. He then peed in the living room, and then pooped in the kitchen not long after that.

I sorta feel like I'm at a loss because it's been 2 days and we have not had even one success yet. But with all those signs that he's ready...I would hate to miss this opportunity when interest is there, and go back to diapers (that he doesn't even want to wear) and deal with the fight. Though he DID ask for a diaper...and I asked if he needed to try to pee or poop and he said no - then went and pooped in the kitchen. So in that case I should have at least tried him on the toilet, though it would have probably ended up happening anyway.

Any opinions on all of this would be great. I did this before with my daughter but she was 3.5 years old and it just felt like a whole different scenario. She really didn't have an interest but was able to do it - and the level of communication was a whole lot better at 3.5, too. 

Expecting Baby #3 to complete our family. 
I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
photo 172b031e-21cf-454e-ae3f-ea3666c05af5.jpg

photo BellyProgressionForSignature-32wks.jpg

Re: We also just started potty training...can I get opinions?

• Options

It sounds like how DD was the first day and a half of the 3 DPT method.  It sounds like he hasn't figured out the need to potty sensation yet, so he doesn't know he has to go until he is going.  I would give it another day and see if you see an improvement.  By the end of day 2 we could tell that DD was starting to understand when she needed to go and saw a huge improvement on day 3.

Stay on top of the potty training.  Keep the potty nearby and stay at his side as much as possible all day.  As soon as you see him going put him on the toilet to finish up.  We put DD's potty in the living room while we were 3DPT her and then moved it back to the bathroom once she knew the need to potty sensation. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's really good to know. I'm going to stick with it and just see where we end up by the end of the week. I really hope we have progress by then!
    I have an adventurous 2 Year Old Toddler Boy & thoughtful 4 Year Old LIttle Girl! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ncbellencbelle member
    In my experience the telling you he has to go comes after the going on the potty - as in you have to encourage him to go every so often.  I aimed for every hour at first.  Eleanor is about 1.5 months in and I still remind her to go if it's been a while as she'll forget if she's busy playing.
  • Options

We did the 3 day method over the long weekend.  Do you have a smaller potty you can keep in whatever room he's spending his time in rather than racing him up to the bathroom?  That's what we did.

DS, for whatever reason, for the last month or so had been telling us he needs to pee, but only when we were out to eat. He rarely told us when he needed to go this weekend while at home, but because he had a little potty he could "manuever" himself in the living room...he would just go sit on it.  We also spent a lot of the weekend prompting him to go (we offered him one m&m everytime he actually went as incentive).  Every 30-60 minutes we would prompt him to go...if he fought us we would back off.  He only had 2 accidents all weekend though.

He's at DC today in underwear and I'm really anxious to know how it's going... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I didn't have a little potty...so I just went and bought one today. I got the lightest weight one I could find with a little handle in the back, so it should be easy to move around the house or take out into the backyard while the kids play. 

It's a great suggestion, ladies. Thank you so much! It does give me hope. :) 

• Options
    Well he loves it! Loves sitting in it! And during one of his times just sitting in it...he peed! So I got to celebrate that with him and now he knows what rewards await him and he actually seems motivated to do it again! Looks like a good start...fingers crossed over here!

• Options
    Just an update that he peed twice and pooped once yesterday in his new potty after nap time (Which he woke dry from)...it was a 50/50 day. This morning the same - one success, one accident. So I think we're off to a good start - the little potty was what we needed - and hopefully we just grow our odds from here! :)

• Options
    It sounds like he is on the right track. Good job!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"