Baby Showers

DH and I don't agree

We are pregnant with baby #2 and DH wants a baby shower, where I do not want to have one.

I didn't have one for DD back in 2010, but DH thinks that it would be fun and 'we could use some things'.

First of all we have a crib, bath, bouncer, monitor, stroller in storage for this very reason!! AND they are gender neutral items if LO is a boy.

It is just annoying because friends are offering to have a baby shower for us but I am the only one who doesn't feel the need to have one.

DH is persistent on having one- sigh*

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH and I don't agree

• Suggest a meet the baby party once your LO arrives. That's a good compromise, if you think you will be up to it sometime after the baby is born.
  • Would you be up for having a "meet the baby" party after the baby is born? This might be a good compromise for you.  

I think he should respect your wishes though and you should not have a shower if you don't want one.  

• Loading the player...
  • Oh my gosh 'Meet the Baby' sounds perfect!! Thanks Ladies.

I think that will go over well with him. He is not forcing one or anything but he just doesn't see what we shouldn't have one. I'll have him read these haha 

• Just to clarify: a 'Meet the Baby' is thrown by yourself correct? How do those work? What do we do?
  • imageMrsHeeney:
    Just to clarify: a 'Meet the Baby' is thrown by yourself correct? How do those work? What do we do?

Yep, the parents can host this themselves. It can be pretty casual IMO. A lot of people do a BBQ or just a get together at their home and invite their friends and family. It's no different than any other party really, only that your LO will be there for everyone to meet.

Gifts are not really expected at a meet the baby party, although some guests may still bring a small gift. I wouldn't open them at the party as it might make people who didn't bring a gift uncomfortable. Although if the gift giver asks you to open it you can do it privately and not in front of everyone.

ETA Left out a word 

• imageHappyMrsK:

imageMrsHeeney:
    Just to clarify: a 'Meet the Baby' is thrown by yourself correct? How do those work? What do we do?

Yep, the parents can host this themselves. It can be pretty casual IMO. A lot of people do a BBQ or just a get together at their home and invite their friends and family. It's no different than any other party really, only that your LO will be there for everyone to meet.

Gifts are not really expected at a meet the baby party, although some guests may still bring a small gift. I wouldn't open them at the party as it might make people who didn't bring a gift uncomfortable. Although if the gift giver asks you to open it you can do it privately and not in front of everyone.

ETA Left out a word 

Thank you, that helps a lot!!  

• jobiannjobiann member
    imagediscobelle:

Showers are meant to honor the mother.  Your opinion counts.  If you don't want one, don't have one. 

This. In my circle it's not proper to have a shower for kids after the first as the first is a welcoming to motherhood. But we have a meet the baby party after the baby arrives, no registry, no fuss. Just some food and an open house type of deal.  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• LC122LC122 member
    The irony of everyone telling you not to have one when several friends have offered is that these same people would tell others "if no one offers, you don't get one".
    Somehow, the reverse isn't true on this board.
    I personally wouldn't go to a "meet the baby" party without a gift, so it also seems ironic for everyone to condone you hosting one to which most people will bring gifts, but condemn other people hosting a shower for you to which your friends want to bring gifts.
    At least with the shower you don't have to worry about hosting while managing 2 kids or worry about germs and everyone touching the baby all at one event. Plus, you never know how you'll feel after your new addition, overwhelmed or just not wanting to clean your house enough to host a party.
  • Just say no. You have the power to say no. Tell him to buy his own "things"
  • It sounds like he wants one for the gifts. It's not supposed to be a fundraiser. If you don't want one, then decline. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"