Attachment Parenting
Options

Looking for advice.... tired momma

My 11 month old has never been able to soother herself back to sleep. Co-sleeping or not. We have tried to leave her for five min at a time when we thought a more comforting version of CIO would work (we are AP friendly but last month were exhausted and tried this for two nights). Our child can get from lightly crying to hysterical, make herself sick crying in five minutes. Happened every time. Clearly not the right method for her.  We are pretty tired, as she wakes about 4 times a night and is not hungry at all except for the 4-5am waking (she's clear then and signs for food). Pick up put down also has no effect.

We are so tired. my husband sleeps with her in her room where the crib is, but even when we breakdown and let her sleep with us, she is still up and being near us doesn't help. She wants to be picked up and walked around. it takes about 20 - 40 min each time to get her to go to sleep. She only naps for about 2.5 hours everyday max. At night we are lucky if she is getting 7 hours total. Is our only hope at this point some hardcore sleep training (that does not involve CIO- I am not against the method with frequent checks and comforting, but clearly does not work for my daughter- who gets sick and chokes from crying so hard. so quickly)

TIA for any advice

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Looking for advice.... tired momma

• Options
    I would talk to your ped or maybe a sleep expert - they may be able to give help/tips
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mcanantmcanant member
    I think the route we have to go is to be consistent. We may try some sleep training and just make sure we stick with it for a week at least. Any more than two or three days just kills us though. But it may be what she needs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry mama. My ds has always been a crummy little sleeper. He is15 months now and he has improved so much but he still usually wakes once a night. 

I def agree with consistency. Not just with the sleeping but with everything. Daytime routine, naps, bedtime and bedtime routine and how you respond to her at night time wake ups.

Some things that have helped us are introducing a lovie. we use a small blanket and I would just lay it on his lap before we would rock to sleep and say "time to snuggle up". This has really helped I think. he calls it his "snuggles" and it really helps him to understand that it is time for sleep. 

I also did the jay Gordon method of night weaning at 11 months and that was a huge help. I usually would offer a sippy of water if he seemed thirsty and sometimes I think he really was!

These things plus a very consistent routine have SLOWLY helped us get more sleep. If he gets out of his routine I know I'm gonna pay for it at night.

I also recommend "the no cry sleep solution" and  dr sears' "the baby sleep book" there is no magic bullet in either of them, but I found reading both to be extremely encouraging during the really rough patches. 

• Options
    I think it's vital to separate any crying to crying with you there.  At this age, she can (and will) cry because she's not getting something she wants.  Wants and needs are a VERY blurred line at this stage - for us and them, really.  But, speaking as the mom of a LO who also took a very long time to learn any self-soothing (and I still lay with her before she goes to sleep, and sleep with her in the middle of the night), you may have to find something in between.  Her crying, even for a while, while you are there doing what you can (what she will let you) to comfort her, is not the same as CIO.  (Really, it's a lot like any other temper tantrum. :) )
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Also, I agree with PP.  Not all CIO methods are "extinction" methods.  Most have graduated check systems.  I tried everything to get DD to sleep well, and we ended up doing a graduated check system for CIO, because the NO Cry sleep solution did not work for us, and just ended up confusing DD.  I say give it a week, if it doesn't work, then try the sleep therapist that another PP mentioned, at least this way you will have exhausted your other options.  A week is long enough to know that it doesn't work, and also not long enough to damage your child.

Good Luck!

PS... Consistency is key no matter what you decide to do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"