Toddlers: 24 Months+

Expressive Speech Delay

I have a 28 month old with an expressive speech delay. She's been receiving early intervention speech therapy and she will be starting outpatient speech therapy next week. She has really good receptive language and can follow directions etc. The doctor diagnosed her with an isolated expressive language delay. I don't think the speech therapy is helping. Any suggestions?!? Also, she's very bright..knows all her letters, numbers, colors, shapes, and can do basic addiction and subtraction...

Re: Expressive Speech Delay

• Have you mentioned to the SLP that you don't think it's helping?  We have EI for speech only also.  His is also expressive and articulation issues.  I didn't think it was doing any good and didn't think his SLP and he were a good fit for each other.  I mentioned it to the director and they switched his SLP.  Ever since then he's been making huge strides and doing really well!!  The new SLP has a ton of advice for home and lots of activities for us to do as well, where the other lady didn't have any answers when I asked what to be doing at home.  You might consider asking for a trade and seeing if it helps.

ETA:  I have the paperwork he's given us for home activities somewhere too.  I'll find it and see if I can get a copy to you via a link or something.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mcor424mcor424 member
    Thanks for the input! She is starting outpatient next week..new therapist and new setting..I'm hoping it helps! I'm also a firm believer that her ability to talk is innate to some degree and she will talk when she's ready!
  • Loading the player...
  • You have a PM!  And for anyone lurking, here's one of the hand-outs I found online that our SLP gave us that has really worked for us.  OP:  I also put the link in your PM, but it might help someone lurking because their kiddo needs help too.

https://www.nona-cdc.com/Communicative%20Temptations.pdf

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mcor424mcor424 member
    Thank you!
  • ncbellencbelle member
    Callum had an expressive delay - didn't say a single word until he was 2 (but was on track with everything else).  A few months later he was using complete sentences (between 28-30 months).  He was in ST too but his SLP said she didn't actually think she did anything much for him - he was just going to talk when he was ready to do it well.  He actually now tests above average for his age for expressive language - my guess is that your DD will catch up soon too!
  • First, I have to say I understand what you are going through as my son is pretty far behind in expressive speech.

I just wanted to add that adding and subtracting at 2 can be worrisome, as it can be a red flag.
  • mcor424mcor424 member
    My doctor isn't concerned...my husband is a near genius and was a late talker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"