VBAC
Options

I feel defiant

OB wants me to take an early GD 1 hour test.  Not because I've ever had GD, I'm not overweight.  She wants me to take it because DS2 was 10lbs at birth (39w).  I'm not going to.  I'll show up sometime around 26 weeks and sit for an hour like all the other typically gestating women.

VBAC patients are "required" to have an epidural.  I won't have one.

An internal monitor for contraction pressure is "mandatory" for VBAC patients.  I won't have one.  

I just want to be left alone to gestate in peace.  I want to labor in peace.  I want to birth in peace.

My OB is really, really nice and knowledgeable.  Hospital policy is dictating all of this.  I'm stuck signing waivers of liability because these "are for my protection."  It's ridiculous.  

I don't like being made to feel like I have to fight to just have MY baby.  It's a strange feeling.  

No real point, but I'm sure that you ladies understand more than anyone else. 

Prudence
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Otis
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: I feel defiant

• Options

That's frustrating.  The whole process is frustrating.  It's easy to see why people would consider homebirths.

I guess the early GD test wouldn't bother me too much.  It sucks, but you have to do it sometime.

So, will they let you sign a waiver for both the internal monitoring and the epidural?  If so, then I wouldn't consider it hospital policy, more just hospital CYA.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think I worded my post correctly.

NM. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    skioskio member
    Yes. I understand. I was smiling as I read this; there is an argument right this moment on my BMB about being your own advocate during birth and it gets me so heated. After having NOT been my own advocate during my first birth, I'm admittedly a tad militant about it this time.

Someone recently said something about hospital 'policy' that resonated with me; something along the lines of how these policies were set due to things happening to a very small percentage of moms that the policy may have prevented. Why are the majority of women who give birth being subjected to policies and procedures enacted due to issues encountered only 5 or 10 percent of the time?

I, too, am being rather defiant, especially as I near the end. OB wanted me to start weekly appointments at 34 weeks. I'm not starting until 36w. I will not be hooked up to an IV at the hospital. I will not go to the hospital as soon as labor starts. I will not have a growth scan at 38 weeks. I will not consent to CFM until I'm ready to be confined to te bed.

My outlook this time is: My baby, my body, my birth. Not a medical event. Medical staff can do their thing if medical need arises; before then, hands off. Let me, my body, and my baby do what we're meant to do.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this.  My first was over 10 lbs (I did not have GD, he was just big) and I was not subjected to an early glucose test.  I took the one usual one, passed, and moved on.  The internal monitor and mandatory epi is going to make it difficult for you to progress.  I wonder why they have policies in place to make it harder for you to birth?  Don't feel bad fighting it.  My midwife was great- some hospital policies she couldn't get around but she certainly bent a few of them to help me get my VBAC.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    Ugh, that sucks! Glad you can vent here at least!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

When I had my vbac, I voluntarily took the 3 hour glucose test. My baby was measuring big and I wanted to remove any doubt the doctors had that I might have gd, thus causing an abnormally large baby.

So while I get the frustration with the gd test, I don't see that as one that's a stumbling block towards a vbac. I was adamantly opposed, however, when one ob wanted me to come in for nst's starting at 32 weeks. I shot that down pretty fast.

I feel you because I felt oddly rebelious when I was pushing for a tol given my "big baby." FWIW, my baby was big but I still had a vbac. :)

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options

I keep wondering why some doctors are so crazy about policies and give women a difficult time bc I always think my practice is annoying and then I read things like this!

I found out this week that an epi ISNT required for VBAC at our hospital, but they def say you just need to be ok with being knocked out if a c-section takes place. I had an epi with my first 2, but I am going to TRY and wait as long as I can this time. I will probably still get one, but at least I feel better that it won't be forced on me.

An internal monitor would annoy me though........I have never had one but I can't imagine it being comfortable!

I am sorry you have to feel like you are being defiant instead of just making choices for yourself. I wish I could stand up for myself in labor and a lot of other situations without sharing these same feelings :) Especially bc it makes me less likely to make the choices I want to make if I think I am not listening to my docs. 

• Options

I hear ya. Good job sticking up for yourself.

And, I love big babies. I hope to have another big one with #3, my second VBAC.

• Options

I would go ahead and do the early GD test just to make them shut up if you don't have it. :) Otherwise they could drop you as a patient or make every appointment miserable until that point. My suggestion is to contact the hospital and find out what their policies really are. The only hospital in this area that does VBAC (NICU can be there in 20 seconds according to the tour) is where I am going. I went on the tour and the RN said if we had any questions that we didn't have answered after the tour to shoot her an email. I did just that and asked what policies the hospital facility has for VBAC. Her answer was: NONE! It is individually up to every doctor and with each patient it could also be different than what the doctor normally does. Her response told me that every limitation that the doctor said, from laboring in the tub to continuous fetal monitoring was negotiable. But, I do have to sign the consent form.

And why is an epidural required for VBACs? Never heard that one. Might have to ask for the reasons behind that policy.  

• Options
    I also do not know why an epidural would be required for VBACs. I would not take an early GD test. I was not asked for my 3rd pregnancy and that was a vbac. My baby #2 was 9lbs 13 oz and baby #3 my first vbac was 8lbs 11oz. I took the advice of another mom and reduced or eliminated as much refined sugar as I could. I ate more veggies and fruits and proteins and reduced any sweets. I also switched to whole wheat and brown rice and elimiated white breads/rolls .I swear this is what got me a lower weight baby. I did not have an epidural or any pain meds with my vbac and just had a little pitocin to get me started.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"