Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby Poop Question

Ok I'm sure most ftm's have asked this... Baby was born via c-section a week ago. I am breastfeeding and watching the change in poop colors. Dark green (I'm on iron pills) to very loose brown and today yellow/orange and loose. I know these are all normal but how often is normal for a baby this age to poop? I've changed 4 exploded diapers in 4 hours now. Baby has been making a lot of bad faces and even started to cry while it happens. He's also grabbing at his belly (I can hear it rumbling before it happens). Is this still considered normal? He still eats every 1 1/2 hours. I'd hate to over/under react so please answer. Thanks :)

Re: Baby Poop Question

• My baby pooped about 15 times for the first few weeks. Then it reduced to each feeding. Then at 6 weeks he started to go twice a day, now it is once a day.

Your baby might be really gassy which is why he is crying. If he is pooping blood or if the poop is hard then I would call your pedi, other than that, it sounds normal what he is doing. Sometimes babies cry to strain.. so they can poop.. cause they don't know how to tighten their body, but loosen their anus at the same time to poop.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

Mine pooped 12-15 times a day (big poops) for the first 8ish weeks, then dropped to maybe 10-12 poops.  At 11 weeks she is down to 2-3 poops but they are massive over 30minutes (like 4-5 diapers changes worth)...we are not sure if this is just due to growth and development or if it is due to the doctor telling me to cut out all milk 3 weeks ago.

Anyways, my understanding is if the poop appears 'normal' then a baby can't poop too much.  My husband and I were very glad we use cloth diapers due to the number of changes we did in the first 10 weeks alone!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"