Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Formula weaning

Hi all! I'm hoping you ladies can help me out a bit. DD is almost 11 months old so we had our 9 month appointment awhile back. At our appointment out pedi mentioned nothing about weaning the number of bottles DD is receiving in order to transition to whole milk at age one. We're planning a trip to Disney the week of her birthday and the only thing she mentioned was to not switch to whole milk until we get back as she thinks it would be too many changes at once. I have friends with kiddos around the same age as mine and their pedis have suggested dropping a bottle every two weeks beginning at 9 months until a year. Currently, DD takes 4 bottles a day, 4 to 6oz each time, solids 3x per day, and snacks. Can you fill me in on what your pedis have recommended and what your feeding schedules look like? THANK YOU!!

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Formula weaning

• Options
    I just did this with DS2. I made a bottle with 6oz of formula and 2 oz whole milk. I did this for about a day and a half. Then I did a bottle with 4oz formula and 4 oz milk--I did that for 2 days. After I saw that there was not weird reactions or tummy issues I did no formula. He adjusted very well. GL. I think he takes about 3 7 oz bottles a day now and is on all regular food except he gets baby food veggies.
    Lauryn Married 10.14.06 Baby 4.28.10 imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    When did you start mixing whole milk? My pedi said no wm until we get back from our trip which would make her 12 months a few weeks. It doesn't make much sense to me :/

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagekbruington:

imageshana+chris:
    When did you start mixing whole milk? My pedi said no wm until we get back from our trip which would make her 12 months a few weeks. It doesn't make much sense to me :/

Sorry, thought your LO was 9 months now but she's 11 months. Got it.

I started giving WCM when he turned 1. We went to his 12 month appt and got the go ahead from the pedi. I wasn't in any rush to start before he turned 1.

Before he turned 1, DS was getting 4, 6oz bottles a day so we started doing 4oz of formula and 2oz milk for a couple days then gradually gave more milk/less formula. I'd say after about 2 weeks, he was off bottles and formula completely and down to about 18oz WCM out of sippy cups. It was much easier than I thought it would be. .

Thanks! So I'll just continue what we're doing until she hits a year! :

imageimage

• Options
    imagekbruington:
    imageshana+chris:
    imagekbruington:

imageshana+chris:

Sorry, thought your LO was 9 months now but she's 11 months. Got it.

I started giving WCM when he turned 1. We went to his 12 month appt and got the go ahead from the pedi. I wasn't in any rush to start before he turned 1.

Before he turned 1, DS was getting 4, 6oz bottles a day so we started doing 4oz of formula and 2oz milk for a couple days then gradually gave more milk/less formula. I'd say after about 2 weeks, he was off bottles and formula completely and down to about 18oz WCM out of sippy cups. It was much easier than I thought it would be. .

Thanks! So I'll just continue what we're doing until she hits a year! :

I'm no expert but that's my experience! Have fun on your trip!

Thank you!! :

imageimage

• Options

This is how I did it with my daughter. I added an 1-2 oz to a sippy at meals. She took right to it so I didn't bother mixing it. My daughter never had WCM in a bottle. The weekend before her birthday I put away all bottles and when it came time for her normally schduled bottle, I offered her the sippy of WCM. My thinking was that the WCM tasted much better than formula and that I wanted her to understand that the "good" stuff came from a sippy. :) It worked! We kicked out the bottles and formula the same day and never looked back. The same method seems to be working for my son. As far as "dropping" a bottle goes, I found that DD did that on her own. She started changing up when she wanted her sippy and then it became more of just getting a drink like you and I do. My son is baiscally doing the same now. He "snacks" on his bottle off and on all day at drinking 2-4oz of a 6 oz bottle every 2 hours or so.

• Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    Yeah, I think this topic can be confusing, too. The pedi told us we can start weaning to WCM at his 9 month appointment. I decided to hold off until 1 year since he is a little behind on his table food. But I found out today that Jack is the only one left at daycare who is still on formula. He's one of the youngest, but there's still at least one kid a month younger. Are we really that far behind?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Formula and bm has way more calories and nutrients per ounce. That's why pedi has us hold off till one year. Mine said it was okay to phase in some milk clos to 11 months. 1 year is not a magic number. It's just they grow so much the first year it's important to provide right mix of nutrients to maximize their growth. 
  • Options
    imagekbruington:
    I didn't decrease DS's formula intake until he turned 1. At that point, we started slowly switching to WCM but we never took bottles away. I definitely don't agree with dropping bottles starting at 9 months. They still need that nutrition. I'd ask your pedi again and get some clarification if you're confused.

I agree! I would not start dropping bottles that early. I would wait until LO turns one then start weaning to milk, there's no rush. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"