Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fussy Bottle Eater

We have been FF DS since two weeks. We switched to Playtex Nurser bottles with the bag inserts based on reviews and ease of use. We use the slow flow nipples with the wide base.

DS is doing great gaining weight and generally eating plenty during the day but he often is really fussy and seems agitated when taking the bottle. Occasional soft crying, straining his body, sad face, etc.

I burp him a couple times over the course of a bottle. I also try different positions, always keeping him upright a bit and making sure there is formula in the nipple to avoid air bubbles. DS clearly is getting fed he's up almost a pound in the last week and pediatrician is very happy though some formula does end up on his chin/shirt.

Should I be concerned and doing something else about his agitation or is this just something that happens with bottles?

Thanks and sorry if any punctuation issues as I'm mobile bumping.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Fussy Bottle Eater

• JenniD2JenniD2 member

DS ended up having the same problem a few weeks ago, and he has been drinking from the Playtex Nursers. After a week of DS acting like he was in pain while eating and refusing the bottle, I took DS to the pedi. The pedi said it was acid reflux and prescribed Zantac and some rice cereal in DS's bottle. So far, it has been working.

Have you talked to your pedi about possible acid reflux? Has LO been arching his back while eating?

• DD2 does this too and it's bc of her reflux. We just started meds yesterday. DD1 had reflux too so I knew immediately when the symptoms started presenting themselves. I'd def talk to your dr about it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
      Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read-in-2012 shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • So it could be acid reflux even though DS isn't spitting up much and often not at all with certain feedings?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • JenniD2JenniD2 member

imageGabbabridge:
    So it could be acid reflux even though DS isn't spitting up much and often not at all with certain feedings?

It could be silent reflux. During or shortly after a feed, DS would arch his back and cry in pain but he wouldn't spit up.  Here is a link about silent reflux: https://www.justmommies.com/babies/silent-reflux-in-infants-laryngopharyngeal-reflux

DS never had/has a problem with gaining weight, but he ended up with a lot of the symptoms listed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"