May 2012 Moms
Options

4 nights away from LO??

So DH found this amazing living social deal for St Maarten. We would go with the 4 night option and it really is a good deal. The island looks beautiful and there seems to be a lot to do. He really wants to book it. The voucher would expire December 2013. We would probably go in November when DD would be 18 months old. Problem is I've only ever stayed away from her one night and even that was hard. I'm worried about how she would do for 4 nights/5 days but I'm also worried about how I would handle it. I also don't know who could watch her for that long. Both our moms work full time and live 20 minutes away from our house and 30 + minutes from DD's daycare. I know DH really wants to go, and I don't want to disappoint him but I'm not sure that DD and I are ready for that kind of time apart. Any advice or shared experiences appreciated. 

Re: 4 nights away from LO??

• Options

Things might be different in 6 months (when DD is 18mths), but right now I don't even travel for work without DD, both her and my Mom (retired) travel with me.

DH and I love having DD with us, and just don't feel the need to have an us only vacation for the forseeable future (probably not for a long time). We do date nights regularly though, and can easily have both sets of grandparents watch DD whenever we need them to.  

You need to do what you feel comfortable with. If you feel like your marriage really needs this trip, then it may be the best decision. I always feel like a solid, happy marriage, allows two people to be the best parents they can be.

• Options
    cltk12cltk12 member

If you want to go on a trip alone, I say go for it! (if you have child care). Or have you thought about taking LO with you?

Can one of your moms stay at your house, drop LO off at DC, go to work and pick them up at night? 30 min commute is my daily commute so I don't think it's that long for one of your moms to do for 4 days to help you out if you want.

We are planning a little get away this summer.  My mom is retired and will stay at our house with LO, but will definitely take LO to DC during the days.  She does this frequently for my sister and for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my DD was about 18 months old I went to Jamaica for my sisters wedding.  She stayed here with her dad.  I think we were gone for 4 or 5 days.  I missed her but it was awesome to have a vacation child free!  Don't feel guilty.  You will miss her but if she is with someone you trust, you will enjoy yourself, trust me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    We just booked 2 nights away on September!! I'm so excited. It will be the first time I've left lo, but dh and I need some grown up time!! My sister in law is taking Lucas and my best friend is taking the other two. It's hard to leave them but its also great too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I don't have advice about leaving LO, but I just wanted to say that I've been to St. Martin twice (we stayed on the French side, St. Maarten is the Dutch side) and it is fabulous!  It's a great place for a vacation and it's small enough that you can rent a car and see both sides.  So much fun!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, we talked about maybe doing a 2 night camping trip in the fall, and having DD stay at my moms overnight once a month to get her more used to being away from us overnight. My mom actually made DD a room at her house so hopefully it will eventually be a place that Cortlan feels comfortable and not completely out of her element. Although, I agree with the comments that having someone stay at our place really is ideal for her. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"