August 2011 Moms
Options

Is crap a "bad" word?

Is crap a "bad" word?  Do you say crap in front of your kid(s)?

Last week, one of the moms at play group was talking about watching her mouth around her kids, and chastising herself for saying crap in front of them. 

I say crap in front of M all the time, and never really thought about it.  I guess I figure it's better than saying sh!t or other words in front of her?  DH and I don't curse very often at all.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want her saying crap, but I guess I didn't really think it was the worst thing in the world. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Is crap a "bad" word?

• Options
    Crap isn't a bad word to me, does it sound nice not really but the alternative is worse. I switched to aww man, which dd has picked up, it sounds cuter than crap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't consider it a bad word but the kids aren't allowed to use it. Can't use shut up or stupid either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I decided a long time ago that it sounds crass...not that it's a "bad" word, just that it isn't something I want in my vocabulary. I used to use it a LOT - I think it was my attempt to shock my mother without resorting to actual profanity. Sometimes it still slips out, but I try to avoid it. It mostly just slips out when I'm ranting to a BFF for DH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageladybugpjb:

It mostly just slips out when I'm ranting to a BFF for DH.

This is really when I use it, like, "Oh crap!" when I drop a dish or I am burning dinner or something.  I guess it's never been on my radar to consciously avoid saying it.

• Options

Yep.  Crap is a bad word.  I hardly think their teachers will allow it once they reach pre-school and above.  We also don't use stupid nor shut up!

I know they'll pick up stupid and shut up eventually, but not from mom (I hope!).  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageKimbus22:
    Crap is an awesome word. It was the only one we were allowed to say as kids. We came up with millions of variations that I still use daily. In front of my kid.

Ya know, funny you say this, but maybe this is why I don't think it's that bad!  Things were pretty much the same in our house.  Maybe this is why I don't think it's on the same level as stupid or shut up, both of which I do actively try to avoid.  Hmm. 

That said, M's (finally!) starting to pick up a lot of words, so I should probably work on saying something else :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"