Baby Showers

Baby at shower

My work is throwing a shower for a coworker in a couple weeks. I am due next week, and today is my last day working. Everyone is saying that I should come to the shower and bring the baby so they all can meet him or her.

Is it stealing thunder to bring a newborn to someone else's shower? She really isn't the kind of person who would be upset AT ALL but i think i have seen things on here about it being a bad idea.

Also, I already gave the MTB my gift, since I was assuming I would not see her. Would it be terrible to come without a gift? I highly doubt anyone would notice, since many people are chipping in for group gifts, but would that still be rude?

Re: Baby at shower

• I wouldn't bring my new baby to someone else's party.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamandarins:
    I wouldn't bring my new baby to someone else's party.

Totally agree with this.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageamandarins:

Agreed.  

imageimage
    Anniversary

• I wouldn't do it.
  • Also, I personally would be super annoyed if someone stole my thunder....but I'd never show it because I don't want to look like a childish brat

• imageamandarins:

This

No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• I wouldn't want to bring my newborn anywhere yet but the doctor.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• While I hate the concept of "thunder" - at the same time, a brand new little BABY truly will take away most of the attention away from what the event is supposed to be about. 

If you do go, no, you don't need to take another gift. It's not rude and no one is going to notice or care.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I would make up an excuse and say your still recovering. Don't go, and don't bring the baby. I wouldn't bring a newborn anywhere for the first month. 
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wouldn't go because I wouldn't want everyone's germs around a baby that's only a couple weeks old.
    Me:32 dx anovulation, unknown reason DH:41
    4 cycles Clomid=No O, 6 total cycles of Femara + Ovidrel
    BFP #1 3/14/12 EDD 11/21/12 MC 3/23/12 5w3d Back to TTC Femara + Ovidrel April/May 2012 
    BFP #2 5/19/12 EDD 1/27/13 No hb @ 7w1d 6/11/12 1st dose cytotec 6/18/12 8w1d 
    RPL panel: MTHFR compound heterozygousStarted folic acid/baby aspirin, cleared to TTC 9/12BFP #3 10/25/12 EDD 7/9/13 Beta #1 13DPO 119 Beta #2 15DPO 264 
    Baby E born 7/8/13

• imageEastCoastBride:

While I hate the concept of "thunder" - at the same time, a brand new little BABY truly will take away most of the attention away from what the event is supposed to be about. 

If you do go, no, you don't need to take another gift. It's not rude and no one is going to notice or care.

Honestly, you might not feel up to it, truthfully. I would go for a couple of hours and enjoy being sans baby for a bit. If you are BF then you can see if baby will take a bottle while you are gone.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks for the comments, it sounds like a unanimous "no." It is my third so I get the whole healing, breastfeeding, and germs thing. I definitely wouldn't go without the baby though, because I know that everyone would be disappointed to "just" see me.
  • imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    Thanks for the comments, it sounds like a unanimous "no." It is my third so I get the whole healing, breastfeeding, and germs thing. I definitely wouldn't go without the baby though, because I know that everyone would be disappointed to "just" see me.

Who cares if they'd be disappointed to just see you. Not your problem. I'd go sans baby and enjoy yourself for a hot second.  

• imageErinm278:
    I wouldn't want to bring my newborn anywhere yet but the doctor.

This!  Doctors recommend that you avoid public places for the first 12 weeks and I certainly wouldn't want my newborn being passed around the workplace.  If you're set on showing off the LO at the office, I'd simply choose another day other than the work shower. 

• I think it would be rude. Plus isn't baby supposed to stay home for a certain amount of weeks to build up the immune system.  If you already gave mother to be her gift then she doesn't need two. Good luck
  • imageellewoodsSC:

imageErinm278:

This!  Doctors recommend that you avoid public places for the first 12 weeks and I certainly wouldn't want my newborn being passed around the workplace.  If you're set on showing off the LO at the office, I'd simply choose another day other than the work shower. 

12 weeks?!?? I'd have gone insane.
  • mmm50mmm50 member
    I definitely wouldn't bring the baby-- especially not because it is a coworker's shower.  It might be different if it was your sister's shower, for example, a shower where you were expected to be there.  But I probably just wouldn't go and definitely wouldn't take the baby.  
  • imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    Thanks for the comments, it sounds like a unanimous "no." It is my third so I get the whole healing, breastfeeding, and germs thing. I definitely wouldn't go without the baby though, because I know that everyone would be disappointed to "just" see me.

Wait, what? You are there to celebrate another person's milestone. Who gives a shiit if people don't get to see your baby. Show them pictures or something very briefly at the end of the shower. Its not about you or your baby. Go if you want or don't if you don't, but I don't get this post.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• jeb2013jeb2013 member
    I love babies and kids so I told my mom to let people know their children are invited too. I had two little infants at my bridal shower and it was so adorable to see them in little dresses. I didn't think it stole from the "thunder". They were very good babies and no one even paid attention to them except for their mom.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • a13049a13049 member
    I get why most people would say no, and if you don't know the group I would assume no. At my work if a new mom came and didn't bring her new baby we would be a little disappointed. There is always a new baby or two at our bridal and baby showers. It seems like when it rains it pours and right now it's pouring babies. It's all women and we pass around the babies that are old enough and the really new mommies usually are wearing their babies. 

• imageMrsPBandJ:
    I wouldn't go because I wouldn't want everyone's germs around a baby that's only a couple weeks old.

I agree with this. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Only first time mom's think you're supposed to keep babies inside for 12 weeks.  That's ridiculous.  I went out with DD to the store when she was 5 days old.  I was going insane in my house. 

No, no one will care that "just you" show up for the shower.  It is not about you and your baby.  It's about your friend.  Either you go or don't go, but don't use this excuse b/c it's simply not true. 

• imagelaurakaz13:

Only first time mom's think you're supposed to keep babies inside for 12 weeks.  That's ridiculous.  I went out with DD to the store when she was 5 days old.  I was going insane in my house. 

No, no one will care that "just you" show up for the shower.  It is not about you and your baby.  It's about your friend.  Either you go or don't go, but don't use this excuse b/c it's simply not true. 

This.  Entirely this.  Except I went to church with my 10 day old first born and went to a restaurant and grocery shopping with her when she was 11 & 12 days old.  And did I mention that we stopped at blockbuster on the way home from the hospital?  And my baby shower was when she was 3 weeks old.  I did leave her home for a friends shower 2 weeks later though. 

My 2nd was out and about at 5 days old.  2 days old if you count going to my parents house to pick up our oldest.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagestarlettedir:
    imageellewoodsSC:

imageErinm278:

12 weeks?!?? I'd have gone insane.

Holy. Ditto! 12 weeks is a long time! I threw my nugget in the moby and went everywhere shortly after coming home! I would have gone bananas if I was inside for 12 weeks!
  • My husband and I went to a friend's birthday party at 5 days PP.  I felt fine, was excited about seeing everyone.  My mom watched our daughter for 1.5 hours, I nursed before I left and when I came home.  No big deal at all--and we actually had a good time! 

See how you feel after you get home--you might surprise yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"