Baby Showers

Have a Shower or skip it?

I'm really having a difficult time deciding this. I'm a military spouse stationed over in Germany. I know my shower time frame is a little ways away, but I find that taking my time to plan things works better for me than to rush it together. Obviously, I don't have any family near me nor will they be able to travel 4,000+ miles for a baby shower. 

My main problem is if I have a baby shower, more than likely I'll be throwing it myself. Also, I can probably think of 5 people I would consider to be my friends to invite. I'm just wondering, should I just skip the shower completely? I don't want anyone to think I'm scraping just anyone to invite or no one comes completely. I was even considering having maybe a co-ed brunch with some of my hubby's friends? But I don't want the guys to feel awkward. I'm very torn. However, this is our first little one and I'd be sad not to do anything at all.

Ideas? Suggestions? TIA! 

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. - Judy Garland

Re: Have a Shower or skip it?

• Thanks ladies. I have to remind myself that it's not a necessity. I'm not wanting a shower because of the gifts. I could care less about that. I just want it to celebrate the excitement of a new baby...if that makes sense? Food, cake, and chatting...as cheesy as that sounds. It is hard being away from my family, but I'm used to it. It's only hard during situations like these :/

Thank you for the kind words. After reading other posts, I realize it's not proper. I honestly had no idea. I've gone to maybe 2(?) baby showers in my life and really don't know much about them.

Maybe I can do a "meet the baby" brunch or mini party after baby is born? :) 

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. - Judy Garland
  • imagebrittanyfbaby11:

Thanks ladies. I have to remind myself that it's not a necessity. I'm not wanting a shower because of the gifts. I could care less about that. I just want it to celebrate the excitement of a new baby...if that makes sense? Food, cake, and chatting...as cheesy as that sounds. It is hard being away from my family, but I'm used to it. It's only hard during situations like these :/

Thank you for the kind words. After reading other posts, I realize it's not proper. I honestly had no idea. I've gone to maybe 2(?) baby showers in my life and really don't know much about them.

That sounds like a great idea:) 

• Loading the player...
  • imageAsbromle:
    imagebrittanyfbaby11:

Thanks ladies. I have to remind myself that it's not a necessity. I'm not wanting a shower because of the gifts. I could care less about that. I just want it to celebrate the excitement of a new baby...if that makes sense? Food, cake, and chatting...as cheesy as that sounds. It is hard being away from my family, but I'm used to it. It's only hard during situations like these :/

That sounds like a great idea:) 

Agreed that this sounds like a great idea! And it also sounds like a great way to connect more with the community around you. Since people don't have to bring gifts (although some might), it's much easier to invite casual friends to celebrate and get to know them better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can't throw your own shower, so I say no. 
  • Like others said, I wouldn't throw your own shower. But if you can have things from US companies shipped to you (I know military posts are sometimes the exception to no international shipping rules), feel free to create a registry. Don't give it out unless asked, but I bet a lot of your friends and family members in the states will want to send you a little something. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imagebrittanyfbaby11:
    Thanks ladies. I have to remind myself that it's not a necessity. I'm not wanting a shower because of the gifts. I could care less about that. I just want it to celebrate the excitement of a new baby...if that makes sense? Food, cake, and chatting...as cheesy as that sounds. It is hard being away from my family, but I'm used to it. It's only hard during situations like these :/Thank you for the kind words. After reading other posts, I realize it's not proper. I honestly had no idea. I've gone to maybe 2? baby showers in my life and really don't know much about them.nbsp;Maybe I can do a "meet the baby" brunch or mini party after baby is born? :nbsp;

We were living a few thousand miles away from friends and family when we had DS. When he was about 6 months old, we traveled home and ha a "meet the baby" party. It was great... Instead of spending our limited time home trying to get together with everyone individually we were able to see a lot of people and celebrate him as well!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"