Homeschooling
Options

A few questions

Obviously I have time before we will be homeschooling =]

1.) at what age did you start homeschooling?

2.) DH and I will both be working, does anyone have both parents teaching? if so how well does it work?

3.) Do you have to have college experience to homeschool?

Any resource you would recommend?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: A few questions

• Options
    ObLaDiObLaDi member

1.) at what age did you start homeschooling? Birth.

2.) DH and I will both be working, does anyone have both parents teaching? if so how well does it work? DH is currently home with our son, but I work and he'll be going back to work also sometime within the next year. Our son will spend some time with grandparents, and perhaps a few days a week with a nanny. Since we unschool (no structured curriculum), it's not a big deal who he's with, as long as he's being loved and stimulated.

3.) Do you have to have college experience to homeschool? Absolutely not. 

Any resource you would recommend? Teach Your Own, by John Holt. It really explains the philosophy behind alternative home education, and answers all the common questions. We have a battered first edition copy that we pass around to family members and friends, but I hear the current edition (edited by Pat Farenga) is great.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ritzy19Ritzy19 member

1.) at what age did you start homeschooling? I would say birth as well.  We knew we wanted to homeschool when I was pregnant with our first, so it's always been something on our minds.  Now that she's 4.5 we're looking more seriously as various curriculums and how we want to more officially go about things.

2.) DH and I will both be working, does anyone have both parents teaching? My husband works and I'm a SAHM, so I'll be doing most of the teaching.  However, he'll get involved as much as he can.  We plan on setting our goals and creating our curriculum (a combo of a few different things) together.  In theory, I'd like to be able to teach while he's at work, and then when he comes home the girls can tell him about their day, what they learned, etc. and get additional help or guidance from him if necessary.

3.) Do you have to have college experience to homeschool? Someone told me that certain states do require the parent homeschooling to have a college degree, and in some states to have a teaching degree.  I never actually looked into that claim though because in my state (Michigan) that is NOT the case.  Personally I feel that anyone should be able to homeschool their kids regardless of their own educational background.  You might want to look into your state's laws though, because I'm honestly not sure how that works from state to state.

Any resource you would recommend? One of the first books I read on the topic of Homeschooling was "So You're Thinking about Homeschooling" by Lisa Welchel and I found it really interesting. It's about real homeschooling families and not just a "how to homeschool" book.

https://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=531623839&aid=frg&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=feed-details&gclid=CJq5gITCurcCFSZgMgodIEgA6Q

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"