Attachment Parenting
Options

Screaming (not crying)

When my LO wants something or is generally unhappy, he screams very loudly. He isnt crying, he is just screaming at the top of his lungs. I know he's trying to communicate but every single negative feeling is met with this.

He is almost a year old and I just try to meet whatever need he has that is making him scream. Have any ideas on guiding him into a better (not so nerve-grating!) way to tell me what he needs? Is it even possible at this age? 

Re: Screaming (not crying)

• Options

He's around the age that baby sign language might help. You could teach him asl or make up your own symbols for basic things like hungry, thirsty, pain, help, more, stop. I think the way it works is you just sign whenever you say the word to your baby, and they eventually pick it up and use it to communicate with you.  Here is a link that might be helpful

https://www.babysignlanguage.com/basics/

• Options
    I'm really sorry to not post advice here (I have an almost 3 month old, so I have none Sad), but your siggy pic coupled with this post made me giggle on the inside... haha. He's adorable, btw.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRunaway22:
    I'm really sorry to not post advice here (I have an almost 3 month old, so I have none Sad), but your siggy pic coupled with this post made me giggle on the inside... haha. He's adorable, btw.

lol Can you hear the scream when you look at him? I can! 

and also, I will look into baby signing. thanks pp! 

• Options
    imagemaven212:

He's around the age that baby sign language might help. You could teach him asl or make up your own symbols for basic things like hungry, thirsty, pain, help, more, stop. I think the way it works is you just sign whenever you say the word to your baby, and they eventually pick it up and use it to communicate with you.  Here is a link that might be helpful

https://www.babysignlanguage.com/basics/

We did baby sign language and it has helped enormously. I always worked to meet her need at that age but showed her an appropriate way to express what she was trying to communicate. Usually through a sign and a word and followed by please.  It didn't take long for her to figure out "if I want my water I sign and say "water." At that age it was actually "milkel" and now it's "wah-wah" but she was communicating.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagethatoneredhead:

When my LO wants something or is generally unhappy, he screams very loudly. He isnt crying, he is just screaming at the top of his lungs. I know he's trying to communicate but every single negative feeling is met with this.

He is almost a year old and I just try to meet whatever need he has that is making him scream. Have any ideas on guiding him into a better (not so nerve-grating!) way to tell me what he needs? Is it even possible at this age? 

This is exactly what my ds has just started doing! I need serious help. If you've found anything that has worked please share. 

Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Options
    imagePBorgstede91:
    imagethatoneredhead:

This is exactly what my ds has just started doing! I need serious help. If you've found anything that has worked please share. 

We're working on signs. Im a woman on the edge with this. I will keep you posted! 

• Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my DD started at that age with the screaming and she still does it even though she is very verbal. She speaks sentences and everything but the minute she gets upset she just lets out the screams. It drives us crazy. I say to her "use words. Mommy cant understand screaming" and she will pause and say NO! then continue on. Ugh I am hoping she will outgrow it soon because a whole year of it has killed me. Not to memtion how embarassing it is in public!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options

/pouts at computer

Motherhood is a cookie jar that is never empty. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"