LGBT Parenting
Options

2 WW - When do you give in and test?

My wife and I are 9dpiui today.  C had her progesterone test this morning and we're waiting to hear back from the RE. Hoping for a nice number there :)

My question to everyone is - when do you give in to the excruciating wait and take a HPT? I've heard that the early response ones can detect as early as 10 days after, but obviously with each added day you give yourself better odds of having an accurate test.

So - when do you test, and what HPT do you use?  C has her beta test scheduled for Monday, but I know we will test before then, but we're going to try and hold out to Friday, which will be 12dpiui.

I know if we test Friday we'll also test Saturday and Sunday (isn't that why they sell multipacks??).  If we're BFP it'll be amazing, as this is our first IUI, and we'd obviously go in for the beta, but if we get a BFN over the weekend, should we still go in for the beta? Or just cancel and get ready for round 2? Our RE said we could certainly cancel if we wanted to, or keep it just to make sure the HPT was accurate.  It's not a question of insurance, because it will be covered, I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on whether it was necessary/beneficial/difficult to handle if you've gotten multiple BFNs at home.

Any and all input appreciated! 

Re: 2 WW - When do you give in and test?

• Options
    We have used every test out there. When we first started this journey we ordered a bunch of tests from amazon. We have pretty much gone through all of them we are currently on our 4th IUI.

My suggestion would be that even if you get negative HPTs go ahead and do the beta. We've always used that or AF as a definite...I think the beta is worth it!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    KH826KH826 member

I think deciding when to test is really hard, and is a personal decision that you and your partner really have to be on the same page about. My wife and I really struggled during our last cycle b/c I changed my mind and wanted to test early and she did not.

With that being said, for me this time, I will be waiting to test until 14dpiui this time if AF does not arrive first. CD28 will actually be only 12dpiui this time, since we did the IUI on CD16 this month (I was on Femara and it slowed down my cycle). So if we make it to 14dpiui, that will be CD30, and technically AF will be late by that point based on my 28 day cycles. However, not sure if Femara slowing down the first half of my cycle will have a similar effect in delaying AF... so we will have to play it by ear a bit. We also did the trigger shot this time, and we decided not to test out the trigger, so that actually makes it less likely that I will be tempted to test early if I think the trigger might still be in my system, and I don't want a false positive.

Anyway, I think there is no "one size fits all" answer about testing. I think it depends on your cycle and what interventions you might have used for your IUI that could impact your test results... I also think it depends on the personal decision you and your partner make (I know some women who would much rather just see AF then see a BFN HPT, but then again, I know women that feel the opposite). The great thing that I have found about this forum is that there are people here that can relate to most scenarios, so odds are you will find support from folks that feel the same way you do!

In terms of the type of tests... we have used First Response and Clear Blue Digital in the past. I still have more of each left, so I will likely use those again if I am lucky enough to get to test this time! I haven't heard a lot of feedback about other brands like EPT, etc.

Good luck!!! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I tested positive with my daughter at 12dpo, which is how long my luteal phase lasts. If it was negative, I would have gotten AF that day. 

I'll probably test at 11dpo this time around. Last cycle I got really swept up in the testing and lost sleep over it! I'm hoping to be more centered this month. Experience is the best teacher, right? 

I bought a 20 pack of Wondflo tests from Amazon so I wouldn't stress about the money/waste.  

• Options

The earliest I ever tested was 7 days - which was a bit silly :) The test that gave us our BFP was taken at 12 DPO, 2 days prior to my period being due.

Its so hard to wait to test, I totally understand where you are right now! All the best of luck for a BFP :) 

ETA - I ended up taking about 10 pregnancy tests total, with one of the clear blue digital ones showing up as a negative - which really scared me! The test that I got the first positive was a  First Response Early Result test.

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• Options

So how did the progesterone test go?

So this was our first IUI this past month. BFN HPT 12dpiui and the days after until this morning, which confirmed our BFN with the beta. I was put on Cronine, progeseterone sepositories that stopped my period, so I waited until it would have been 2 days past my missed period and then tested with HPT. I think it was killing me inside that I would not know based on AF. I first really thought about it for much of the first week and came to terms with the fact that I would rather test than wait. It took another two days from when I decided to convince my DW that it was what I really wanted and she supported me. Ultimately I still feel good about our decision to test.

I would keep my beta appointment anyway. I always think there is a possibility they can catch something that I am not feeling. I know AF is the clear indicator, but if it is covered why not. This way if you call to start the next cycle bc AF came, I would let them tell me to cancel the beta, this way I would know it was the right thing to do.

Oh and from being on here I have learned so much about the fact that trigger shots give a false positive, so I waited as long as I could and from what I read was long enough so that would not happen. That is the only thing that I worry about with testing early, that If I got a false positive, DW and I would be devistated!

PT: I used E.P.T. but one of the three did not work. And First Responce. Definitely go with the multipack!!

33 Years Old

Married 7/7/10 - Provincetown MA on the beach -

Reception October 23, 2010 - Martha Clara Vinyards, North Fork Long Island

5/12/13 - 5/13/13 IUI #1 - BFN
    6/14/13 - IUI #2 - BFN - 7/17/13 - IUI#3 - BFN Clomid cycle 100mg 08/13 - cancelled bc produced too many eggs. Clomid cycle 50mg 10/13 - IUI#4- BFN. Clomid. Switched Dr in November. IUI#5 11/20 and 11/21 with trigger and clomid. -TWW {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Trying to Conceive Ticker}
  • Options
    tdmklmtdmklm member
    First positive at 12 dpo with our first, 11 dpo with our pregnancy in July, and 10 dpo with this little guy. All were FRER. I won't tell you when I started testing because it makes me sound insane.
  • Options
    When I wasn't on progesterone, I always just waited for AF.  My LP is 12 days so it always came before beta.  When I was on progesterone, I always tested the day of beta or the day before.  I didn't want to test before my trigger was out of my system and get a false positive, but I also didn't want to get a false negative if it was too early and torture myself.  I only buy FRERs, because they are sensitive and in my experience have been reliable.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We did IVF and I tested (silly) 4dp5dt, kind of equivalent of 9dp IUI. I got my faint positive the night of 5dp5dt, and positives from then on. I can't remember what brand I got but did one morning/night until my beta on 9dp5dt...and did a digital for kicks that morning.

It is a very personal thing, everyone is different. For me, like jrtmom I just wanted to know going in where things stood, knowing of course the beta # matters more than a second line, but still it was the right choice for me (and for my very, very impatient wife). Smile

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"