One & Done: Only child

anyone an only child yourself?

or your partner is an only child?

I have been lurking for awhile and it seems like there are various reasons why people chose to be one and done.  

I am an only child and I always knew that I wanted only one because I loved being an only child.  I wouldn't deny that my parents spoiled me, but I think that the fact that they provided me with every opportunities possible, allowed me to be who I am.  And I consider myself successful (not only in my career but in life) and happy.  I am just wondering if there are others out there like me who is an only child which contributed into your decision that you are one and done? 

September Sig challenge: Fall
imageimage

Re: anyone an only child yourself?

• salt78salt78 member

Technically. I have three half brothers, but they are 16, 18, and 20 years younger than me. We never lived in the same house so I never had that kind of sibling relationship with them.

Like you, growing up as an only child definitely contributed to my decision.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Dh loved being an only. He has a great relationship with his parents. They were able to help him with college. I have a sister who I know I wouldn't be friends with if we didn't share a womb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am an only and absolutely love it.  It definitely plays majorly into our decision with feeling comfortable being OAD.

We also have an only best friend that married another only that are planning on being OAD as well.

• DH is not technically an only child, but may as well be. He has a half brother that is 11 years younger than him, and they never lived together.
  • I am an only child however I now have step sisters/brothers as of last year. But I loved being an only child I felt close to my parents and felt that being an only gave me more time with them and more possibilities for me. However at times I did wish I had a brother or sister so I could play my board games with them as my parents never would that was the only thing.

I like having only one so I can give all my time and energy to him especially as we will be homeschooling too, I think if I personally had more than one I wouldn't be able to give the time and not be able to do all the things we are looking fwd to.

On the other hand my husband has an older sister and agrees one is better as he and his sister did not get along at all and though it's better now it's still not as good as he would like obviously it's a work in progress but he simply didn't enjoy having a sibling growing up
  • My sister was born when I was 13, so we dont have the traditional sister relationship and I was plenty big enough to not feel like I shared anything. She is closer in age to my son than to me.

My mom is my best friend and I love being the cool half aunt/half sister thing to my sister. 

• I have a brother and we are close. DH is an only child and hated it growing up.

So we've made our decision to be OAD despite those factors rather than because of.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH is an only child. While he would have gone along with a second child, his preference was to be OAD.

I have an older brother he's four years older than I am. We are not close, at all.

We are OAD based on health issues/concerns. I could have pushed to have a second child, but the risk was not worth it to me. I have wholly embraced our family of three. Our individual experiences brought DH and I to an emotional place where we know that this is the right choice for us.
  • KisstyKissty member

I am an only and I LOVE it! My MIL is also an only.  DH has a sister whom he really does not like.  I have a friend who has asked me for advice since she has an only.  She and her husband had siblings so they needed a little help there.

I wouldn't say that being an only helped me decide to be OAD just that I know the things that only children need.  I didn't enjoy being pregnant and I don't know that I have enough time and patience to have more than one.  I enjoy spending time with LO and don't know that I want to share that.

imageimage 

• imageICarriedAWatermelon:
    Maybe I've missed this somewhere else on the board, but are there gals here from BIG families that are OAD? Bc I'd like to hear about that, too.

I have 6 siblings who each have 2 or more kids and we're OAD.   It wasn't my preference but DH def does not want more.  I had DS when I was nearly 41 and DH is >10 yrs older than I am so age played a big part in why we made the decision.   I get along with my family and had good sibling relationships growing up although I don't speak to most of them now on a regular basis.  I have 2 sisters I am close to and I'm very close with my mom as well.   I had a great time being from a big family and that is why it was hard for me to come to terms with being OAD.   I'd love DS to experience that but he's got ~21 cousins, 5 of whom treat me like a 2nd mom, so I hope he'll have lots of family to celebrate life with and who will support him during difficult times.   

• I am an only child and have always loved it. This isnt why we are OandD though.
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • I too am the sole child, from a happy and long marriage (until my Mom passed away 2 weeks before my daughter was born). There were times I got bored I suppose, but I was always allowed pets (of all sorts, haha - even the potbellied pig trend!) and I was always allowed friends over for the night, even school days. My parents were not young parents (both 25) but I was still one of the first children to arise in their circle. I was treated with respect and my opinions were acknowledged and accounted for. Even by 4, my parents told me I would not have a sibling, my dad got a vasectomy (so it was by choice) and they never once treated me like it was my behavior or anything like that, but it was "I was perfect, why try again," mentality my parents always construed to me about why I was always going to remain an only. My husband has a sister, and at first, I said I would have two, but after having our beautiful, smart, healthy little girl, my husband has expressed not needing to try for a boy and that we can call it done. Of course, I can change my

mind, but I have always expressed interest in having an only, if you do it right, they are blessed with the knowledge they are special in your eyes, without being a brat! Not to mention I am still a brat and having two would totally put a damper on my workouts, vacations, etc.... Kidding!!! (I truly want one only because I loved being the only one, and I think I can recreate that for our daughter!)

• My husband has 4 siblings.  1 of them has 3 kids, the rest of them either have 0 kids or 1 kid.

They are all in their 40's so no chance of more. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"