Georgia Babies

HFM after just 5 days of DC?!

I knew putting DS in DC would mean he is exposed to more illness and that he would probably be sick more frequently, but HFM after just 5 days? Poor Brennan screamed from 59, had the rash on his mouth on his private area, fever of 101.5. He was fine at drop off but when DJ picked him up they said he had a very rough afternoon. I knew the minute I picked him up he had a fever. Dh said he felt like that at pick up. The kid has not shed a tear ALL week and this behavior is very in characteristic for him. I am very surprised that we were not called. I am also shocked the didn't call due to the rash on his private area. How did they not catch this when the rash appeared on hismouth as the day progressed?

I understand that kids in DC are more prone to illness but this makes me question their cleaning regiments as well as the enforcement of their sick policy. I know B didn't get this from our house. Colin has never had this. We ended up taking him to the ER last night bc he was inconsolable for hours and our ped wanted him seen. He just finally fell asleep at 8 am.

Do I need to question my DC's cleaning methods and enforcement of their sick policy? Did your kids get sick the minute you started DC? I just wasn't expecting this on day 5. I am a but upset that we were not called bc he was visibly sick at pickup. Any advice is appreciated. Please talk me off the ledge my mama bear is rearing it's ugly head.
Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: HFM after just 5 days of DC?!

• Hmm, anytime there was a case of HFM at our facility, a note was sent home and parents were notified at drop-off/pickup.  It's a HIGHLY contagious disease so it may not be an issue of them not cleaning properly, but I would be concerned about them not recognizing his symptoms and/or notifying you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mia's been in daycare for 3.5 years and we've never had HFM (knock on wood).

I'd be more concerned about the fact that they didn't call when he was visibly sick. I think it warrants a discussion with the center and a review of the procedure when they begin showing symptoms while in school. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I know from experience in our classroom that no matter how much we bleach everything, things in preschools spread easily.  The baby room is the worst of course because they put everything in their mouth.  The only thing I would say you could ask about that is how they clean the toys.  I don't think this necessarily would have prevented the HFM because it is so contagious, but if you are wanting to know more about cleaning I think that is a good question.  When Owen got RSV earlier this year, I found out that the teachers in his classroom were not doing as much as they could have with the toys.  They were supposed to be keeping a tub on the counter of used toys to clean later when the babies are sleeping or at the end of the day.  In our preschool, the are supposed to pick them up when the baby is done with them and put them in that tub so that the next one doesn't put the same in their mouth.  It is good in theory and of course not always the easiest to monitor.  Owen is even only there for a couple hours a day, sometimes a little more, and he still got sick when the others all did.  It's unavoidable sometimes.  I don't think them cleaning the toys better would have saved him from RSV, but I definitely think it's a good idea in general.  Owen didn't get sick right away when he started, however, I think if HFM was already going around in there he may have just happened to start in the middle of something.

As for them not calling you, I would be very upset about that.  If I walk in to pick up one of my boys and something is wrong, my first question is why didn't you call me (well, especially since I am right down the hall).  There is no reason for that.  Especially when he is hot enough that you can tell right away when your DH touched him.  I would question that.  I would be upset that he was there longer without you knowing, when you could have come to get him and help him.

I hope poor little B feels better soon! Hang in there.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I would be concerned they didn't call you when they noticed the rash.
    G and E both have had HFM and it sucks. G got it the first week of daycare but it wasn't as bad as Bs looked. E doesn't go to daycare and got it. I'm thinking from the music class he attends. It's highly contagious so it spreads fast no matter how much cleaning goes On. And since you don't know your contagious until after the rash appears you can't keep your kid away from other kids. I would def share your concerns on not contacting you when he had a fever and rash.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When you posted his pic on FB, I thought it looked like HFM :. Sorry I was right. That is the worst kid illness we've experienced gavins was particularly rough. just what you described up all night screaming. Sorry it happened right away rotten luck. As for cleaning, that wouldn't have stopped it. But they do need to warn other parents and sanitize everything now. It's highly contagious and the drool often starts before any other symptoms it's usually mistaken for teething.

You do need to talk to the director about the rash and fever. It's possible that the fever was just kickin in around pick up it was very sudden onset for both of my kids like playing happily one min and the next, laying on the floor crying in pain. Very unsettling. But the rash should have been noted on his daily sheet at a minimum. I wouldn't expect a call for diaper rash alone, but I would think they would start watching for other symptoms. Hang in there these first few weeks are going to be hard on all of you but focus on the rewards he will be super social and learning all sorts of new things in no time.

PS... Watch Colin. He may not have as severe a case but he will probably get a sore throat and some mouth sores :

• Thanks ladies! I am glad that this weekend is a 3 day weekend. HFM sucks so bad!!!!!! If B is not sleeping he is screaming non stop. He only wants me and every time DH tries to hold him there is more screaming. I am definitely going to make it clear about when we want to be called. Dh's schedule is more flexible than mine but regardless our kids come first and if thy are not feelin well there is no reason for them to be at DC feeling horrible. The flip side of that is just like I would like other parents to retrieve their sick kids to try and contain whatever Illness was I would like to be able to do the same. Hopefully DC will be receptive to my concerns. Thank you all for all of your input and for making me feel better. Hopefully, gettingbsicknfrom DC won't be as frequent at least over the summer.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • HFM is rampant at this time of year in DC.  It's unfortunate.

Did the ER teach you the magic mouthwash?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageyellowtulips80:
    HFM is rampant at this time of year in DC.nbsp; It's unfortunate.Did the ER teach you the magic mouthwash?

No what is that?!
  • imageMrsL1022:
    imageyellowtulips80:
    HFM is rampant at this time of year in DC.nbsp; It's unfortunate.Did the ER teach you the magic mouthwash?
    No what is that?!

It's a mixture of benadryl and maalox, I think.  Mix it up and rub it all over his mouth with a q tip or cotton ball.  It's ok if he swallows a little, it will numb his throat.  Call your Dr for exact directions.  Although, honestly it never helped my kids much- I think they drooled it all out! 

• DS got rsv his first week of daycare. I agree with all the stuff you said about cleanliness and sick policy. I think whatever is going around is usually caught honestly. It sucks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kids get sick every 2 weeks or so during their first YEAR in daycare. My son was sick with all kinds of viruses and even lice, although he didn't get HFM. There's some highly contagious stuff out there, hope he feels better! The good news is he'll probably be immune to most illnesses from DC after about 6-12 months.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"