Adoption

Adoption Memory Books?

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any recommendations for Adoption Memory Books? We are hoping to keep two books- one for us, and one that the expectant mom can eventually fill in as well...

I've looked at the ones that Tapestry  Books have... and I'm hesitant because it advertises things like "Our Forever Family Tree" and "Your Forever Mommy" and "Your Forever Daddy" (that won't work for us anyway because we're queer)...but additionally, I'm simply not comfortable with the language of "forever family"- I understand that for some people this is great- but it just doesn't quite fit the dynamic that we currently have with the birth family, nor does it seem exactly reflective of the relationship that our adoption triad is planning---

so---any suggestions? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Adoption Memory Books?

• i got one off of amazon called "my journey my family" that i like a lot. Still in the process of filling it out, but i don't think it has anything about "my dad" or "my mom".... theres a great review on amazon that lists what each page has....
  • We just used a regular baby book.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want, maybe you can make your own.  We used mixbook.com to make our profile book and it is pretty easy to you. You could use a couple baby books as a guide and create your own since others are not quite meeting your need.

I am thinking of doing that for our future child. 

Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • sgb721sgb721 member

The forever family part creeps me out a bit. IMO it sends the message that at any given time a family could become a not forever family. Hmm....

Have you thought about going a more personal scrapbook route so you can customize the wording and include stuff slowly? I'm not crafty by any means, but I feel like the AC Moore and Micheal's Crafts have the backgrounds and stickers etc. Then maybe you could mail EM a new page as part of your ongoing communication for her to add to her book?

PS: "Your Forever Mommy" and "Your Forever Daddy" (that won't work for us anyway because we're queer) made me choke on my water laughing. I <3 you!

TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • imageStrawberryglobug:

The forever family part creeps me out a bit. IMO it sends the message that at any given time a family could become a not forever family. Hmm....

PS: "Your Forever Mommy" and "Your Forever Daddy" (that won't work for us anyway because we're queer) made me choke on my water laughing. I <3 you!

Right- exactly--plus it somehow indicates that the birth family is not a forever family. It's not like the birth family is going to evaporate and disappear---it's just all family--- and I know that's not the case for everyone- but it is the direction we're all heading in right now. 

LOL glad you found it funny. 

I don't know---I've never scrap booked---and I don't really have scads of extra time for crafting now---let alone when we've got the LO. But I think maybe I might be able to salvage something or have some sort of custom book made. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm working on a regular old Creative Memories Scrapbook for our adoption. :) Scrapbooking and stamping my Christmas cards are the two crafty things that I do. :)
    I'm a dance studio owner, writer, cat mommy, and adventuress who is married to the man of her dreams. My husband and I have had a long-time dream to adopt and it's happening in a way that we didn't quite anticipate. But, like any move of God, it's turning out way better than we expected. We'd love for you to follow our story at www.kirstenkline.com!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"