Health & Exercise
Options

Start running again?

Im 12 weeks along and I'm curious if it would be safe to start running/jogging again after I haven't done it in a month and a half to two months. I know you aren't supposed to be starting anything new, but I wasn't sure if that amount of time off would apply or not?

Re: Start running again?

• Options
    If it feels good go for it! It sounds like you were a runner before pregnancy. If so, the 2 1/2 months off should be ok. I starters running again at 10wks when my body craved it.
  • Options
    I'd start short and easy and see how it feels. Be mindful of what your body is telling you and realize you're going to need to ease back in slowly, even if you really want to do more NOW. Good luck!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cjm724cjm724 member
    I'm sure you would be fine since you ran before, but you could always call your OB to ask to make sure! 
  • Options
    marym94marym94 member

Yes listen to your body... I took a few weeks off here and there throughout my pregnancy and was still able to pick it back up when I was feeling good. Kept it up through the pregnancy and just did what I could :)

• Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Pick it back up now, slow and steady if you need to, but make sure you keep it up if you plan to do it throughout pregnancy. I had to take a couple weeks off between 15 and 18 weeks and my muscles are taxed very differently now that I have a shift in where my weight is. I'm back to running regularly (2-3 times each week and 12-15 miles), but it's taken a toll on my calves due to the shift in weight. I'm 25 weeks and 4 days now and the weight in the front changes how your muscles work when you run! Who would have thought? :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Before my IVF I was running 20+ miles a week and down to an 8:30 mile.  I had to stop for all the IVF meds and then the iVF worked and I had to wait until I was released to the OB.  I finally got clearance to run and I just started out this week again!  I am much slower, like 10:30 minute mile, but I ran 3.2 today and Friday.  I say go for it just maybe not as fast and don't push as hard.  I used to push myself harder but now if I feel like I should take a break, I do.  It's smart to get back into it while pregnant I think (as long as OB says so)!  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"