Homeschooling

Romeike family denied asylum

Re: Romeike family denied asylum

• Interesting. Thank you for sharing, I've been wondering what the outcome of that case would be. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Ugh, how awful. :( 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:
    The idea that home education is not a "basic human right" is really scary to me. I am scared it will start a precedent in case law in case the US becomes very homeschooling unfriendly. I really hope it is overturned on appeal for that reason.

This! 

I have this horrible gut feeling that by the time my kids are raising my grandkids homeschooling will not be allowed.  At least not with the freedom that we currently enjoy it.

It's scary to me that a government can force you to "give up" your children to them for a large portion of the day.  As a parent, it should be my fundamental right to keep my children near me if I want to.

• I am really glad they are being denied asylum.  You better believe if they were from Mexico and requesting asylum for the same reason there wouldn't be a bunch of Evangelical Christians calling for them to receive asylum.  I personally do not think people have the right to teach their children things that have no basis in reality, that have been debunked (e.g., that the earth is 7,000 years old, etc.).  How does it serve the interests of the child to teach them to deny science in an ever growing technological world? there are not many parents who have the academic skills to teach Chemistry, Physics , Math and Biology to their kids at home with their high school educations.  Religious myths are NOT fact and should not be taught as such in a school environment; that is what church on Sunday is for.  

In what way does requiring children in Germany to attend public schools preclude them from teaching Christian values to their children in Germany?  Also, note that in Germany they could have chosen a religious private school and be legally compliant;  no one was forcing a public school on them.  Like all civilized societies, children are not viewed as being merely the property of their parents. Children are owed certain rights from their parent such as decent levels of nutrition, education, medical care, etc. regardless of the parents' religious beliefs. Only religious fanatics consider this "persecution."  This is actually a protection of the freedom of the child, not the parent.

Read this article and see what those kids might be saying in 10 years.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/articles/2013/04/11/homeschooled-kids-now-grown-blog-against-the-past.html

• imageWendyGreen79:

I am really glad they are being denied asylum.  You better believe if they were from Mexico and requesting asylum for the same reason there wouldn't be a bunch of Evangelical Christians calling for them to receive asylum.  I personally do not think people have the right to teach their children things that have no basis in reality, that have been debunked (e.g., that the earth is 7,000 years old, etc.).  How does it serve the interests of the child to teach them to deny science in an ever growing technological world? there are not many parents who have the academic skills to teach Chemistry, Physics , Math and Biology to their kids at home with their high school educations.  Religious myths are NOT fact and should not be taught as such in a school environment; that is what church on Sunday is for.  

In what way does requiring children in Germany to attend public schools preclude them from teaching Christian values to their children in Germany?  Also, note that in Germany they could have chosen a religious private school and be legally compliant;  no one was forcing a public school on them.  Like all civilized societies, children are not viewed as being merely the property of their parents. Children are owed certain rights from their parent such as decent levels of nutrition, education, medical care, etc. regardless of the parents' religious beliefs. Only religious fanatics consider this "persecution."  This is actually a protection of the freedom of the child, not the parent.

Read this article and see what those kids might be saying in 10 years.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/articles/2013/04/11/homeschooled-kids-now-grown-blog-against-the-past.html

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it is full (in my opinion) of false assumptions.

My first issue with your opinion is that you feel religious instruction only has a place in church. The point of church on Sunday isn't simply learning, it's worship.  The Christians that read and follow the teachings of their Bible know that it says Biblical Truth should be taught at all times and should be central to everything we do, including educating our children.

You assume that all Christians that homeschool are young Earth creationists, which simply isn't true.  You also assume that the only reason a Christian would want to homeschool their child is because of the conflict between what is taught in science class and what they believe, and that is also untrue. 

When people say that they want to homeschool their children for religious reasons it could mean many things.  Many times it has less to do with the curriculum taught in public schools and more to do with the ENVIRONMENT in which they want their children learning.  Of course Christian parents know that they have time outside of school to instill their religious beliefs in their children, but that really isn't the point. 

As far as qualifications go, as someone citing the importance of the technological world we live in, I'm sure you're aware of the many, many resources available for parents to teach subjects like chemistry and physics from home (even parents with ONLY a high school diploma are more than capable of seeking out those resources).

Sure, parents can choose a private religious school, but not all can afford them. So then, there really isn't a choice for those parents, is there?

And as far as your quote about civilized societies, I have to chuckle. In the "civilized" societies you are talking about, I would argue that people definitely view children as the "property" of their parents.  So much so that they are even able to kill that "property" in the womb if they so choose.  But, I digress....

You are assuming that one can't give their child the same "quality" education at home as they can in the government run schools if they are doing so for religious reasons and I think you are absolutely wrong. Your biases are showing (obviously, based on the link you shared - that wasn't biased at all). Just as every public school is not the same, every religious homeschool is not the same.

So tell me, what is your definition of "decent"?  I would argue that the majority of what is taught (both academically and socially) in schools is completely indecent. I'm not very educated in Germany's schools, but I know that in America the majority of our schools are failing the students in most areas.  Some parents feel they can do a better job at home, and that should be their right.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"