Eco-Friendly Family

Anyone here have chickens?

Maybe it's just because I live in Portland, but I find that a lot of the families that practice more green living often have backyard chickens. Not really asking a question here, just wondering if anyone else does.

We live in the city and we have a flock of 9 chickens of all different breeds and a breeding trio (two ducks and a drake) of Ancona ducks. Fresh organic eggs are sooooo good! :)

Also, hello everyone! I don't know if any of you will remember me. It's been a long while since I was here..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Anyone here have chickens?

• Not yet but my husband and I have been thinking about it. Any advice for someone just starting out?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMelissaMiso:
    Not yet but my husband and I have been thinking about it. Any advice for someone just starting out?

I've found this book to be really helpful:

A Chicken In Every Yard

Also, this forum is very helpful, I was on it a LOT when we first started out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com

Really the biggest thing is making sure you have enough space in your coop and run for the number of chickens you want to have. And I would suggest starting out small. We started out immeditaly with 13 chickens and got in over our heads quickly. We eventually figured it all out through trial and error, but it would have been a lot easier if we had started with 3 or 4 and worked our way up.

On another note, I see a bunny in your siggy. What kind is it? I am trying soooo hard to convince DH to let me get a rabbit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • As soon as we buy a house we are totally getting chickens! We really want a cow too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've had chickens for about ten years. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"