January 2013 Moms

Lipase excess in breast milk

I never knew this was something to look out for, and I figured out I have this issue today. :( Apparently the excess lipase breaks down the fat quickly, and the stored milk starts to taste metallic/soapy/gross. To me it tasted like freezer burned peas, with a sour milk undertone...nothing I want to drink, nor feed to my son.

DS refused to eat a bottle earlier this week, and my DH said once he tasted the milk it was very sour/bad tasting (only a few days old in the fridge). Then we tested my frozen stash, and it all was nasty! I was pumping and immediately freezing so I could go out for an all day bachelorette party today - wine tasting, picnic, games, dinner, etc. But since all my frozen stash was gross tasting and DS would not eat it, I had to just pump one extra bottle before I left for him to eat a few hours later, and only could hit up one winery and lunch and then head home.

I'm going to try to scald, divide, and store some milk, and test it at various intervals to see how long it keeps in the fridge and freezer.

Hopefully, if scalding works, I can store enough to get a day away for just me...this was supposed to be my first day away from the baby in 17 weeks...oh well

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lipase excess in breast milk

• Wow, i've never heard of that. I'm sorry, that stinks. I'll have to look it up, I wonder how common it is. I too have a bachelorette party to go too and have been pumping and freezing. We've tried giving DD a bottle of the stored milk a few times now (to make sure she'll take a bottle the whole time i'm gone) and she refuses and makes a face like it's gross. And I thought it was strange because she's taken a bottle of fresh milk or couple hours old milk just fine. The bachelorette party i'm going to is out of town for 2 days and would be my first time away too. I hope it works for you and you're able to get some time away :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"