Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Maybe she isn't ready to potty train??

I'm not sure if my DD is ready or not. I thought she was for sure but today she has had alot of accidents but no pee in the potty and she kind of fights me putting her on the potty.

Today is day 1. At around 8:30 i put big girl underwear on her and she was excited.  I set the timer for 20 mins and every 20 mins for an hr i sat her on the potty. No problem but no pee. After the hr I set the timer again for another 20 mins but within 5 mins she had peed. No biggie...well this continued to happen so i moved the time closer to 15 mins and that's when the problems started. But if i didn't do this she peed.

She is not telling me she has to go, only tells me after she's already gone.

I do not want to push her but i'm not sure what to do. Is this normal when kids are ready?? She did sit through lunch without peeing and i sat her on the potty right after and she didn't give me any trouble. But again, she didn't pee.

It was nap time so i put her diaper on and put her to bed.

I have been giving her M&M's for sitting on the potty, staying on the potty long enough to try and that's pretty much it. If she doesn't go she doesn't get another one.

Help me please..
Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Maybe she isn't ready to potty train??

• Options
    My daughter reacted similarly the first day. She's doing pretty good now. I would say don't go back once you've started but that's just me. My best tips are make sure she knows wet pants are yucky, she's not yucky, but we just don't like wet pants. Emphasize keeping her pants dry and praise her on that in between. Try reading books with her on the potty or peeing with her. Praise every little good thing she does. If you can tell she's getting annoyed with it back off but still try to make it super fun when you need to practice. Like we can call daddy or get your toy after we go potty, come on let's run fast! My daughter loved the doll that wets and the first time she went was when I said can you pee pee like dolly? Maybe try that. The first day was very hard. It is hard even if you are successful in my opinion. We're on day four and she had a couple accidents a day every day but she's at least starting to hold it long in between. I still have to prompt her so I'm hoping the independence will come with time as we work on it. Good luck!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Instead of every 20 minutes, try and catch her in the act of going and run her to the potty.  Remind her to tell you if she needs to go potty over and over. 
    Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine does the same, tells me either "I'm peeing" or that she just went. Honestly, I think she just isn't ready. She has been pooping on the potty for about 10 months, but the pee thing isn't sticking. I am just going to wait another month or two, and I think she will finally get it. She is starting to hate being wet, pull up or diaper. I don't want to be pushy, and really, what is the rush?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    J+MSJ+MS member
    imageThatWasAHoot:
    Instead of every 20 minutes, try and catch her in the act of going and run her to the potty.  Remind her to tell you if she needs to go potty over and over. 
    This. 
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    I would watch for cues and do what PP said about running her to the potty. Every 15 minutes like that would make me nuts!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    VespahVespah member

imageThatWasAHoot:

ditto this.

DD got the connection that pee goes in the potty right away, a big chunk of that was because we caught her mid stream. A "oh you are peeing!! Hold it!" and a brisk teleportation to the potty, (that is in the living room) for her to finish and then massive praises and high fives all around. The first day you literally need to have someone watching her crotch for the start of pee coming at every moment until she can make the connection of what you are trying to teach her.

Of course she's going to fight you if you make her sit every 20 minutes if she doesn't have to go. If she has never pee'd on a potty she has no idea why she is sitting there and not playing. 

Good luck, it is exhausting at first but as soon it clicks SOOO much better than diapers. 

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Options

I'm in the minority here with accidents I guess. What has worked so far for me is to let her have her accident (it's almost always too late anyway), then explain to her, "uh oh you wet your pants, wet are pants are yucky huh? We don't like wet pants. When we have to go pee pee we run fast to the potty." Then I have her run with me to the potty a few times from different rooms of the house (unless she's visibly upset and the practices will just make her more mad), and explain to her that whatever she's doing, if she needs to go she needs to do this. I pull her pants down and sit her on the potty each time too. Then I have her help take them off, put them in the bucket, and we talk about how nice dry pants are. It's a lot of work for every accident but I do think it helped my daughter really not want to have accidents. She feels the wetness and does not like it. She needs to know what this feels like so she doesn't want to keep doing it. I will say with a very sensitive child I'd be careful with this method though; you definitely don't want them to feel ashamed, just know that wet pants are yucky and we need to go in the potty! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"