School-Aged Children
Options

Age?

Would you be ok with saying that a child is a little older than she is so she can take part in some activities.  We are flying to Italy a month prior to Leah's sixth birthday.  I am looking up things for the big girls (5&7) to do while we are over there.  Most of the activities are six years and up.  She is extremely smart and very mature for her age.  I would like them to take part in a cooking course or a art class.  Cooking class is 6-15 I believe.  We are taking my niece and she would go to class with the younger two, so she could help out a little with Leah.

Re: Age?

• Options
    A month prior the bday to me is not a big deal.  Anything before that and I would really have to think about it based on what they would be doing.  Cooking classes at age 6 is not something I would sign my girls up for at this point unless I was with them (or another adult family member or my teenage nieces).  The art class I am assuming would be fine.  Again, case by case basis but I would do that even if they met the age requirements as it really depends on the child.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    alakealake member
    I am just looking into ideas for them to do while we are in Italy.  Nothing has been booked yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Age "limits" for kid activities aren't set in stone.  If the child is within a month of the age limit, it probably doesn't make much difference.

However, I would think carefully about the kind of class it is. A cooking class could be designed so that a 6 y/o would have no trouble... or it could involve a lot of cutting, carrying heavy pots, being tall enough to see over the top of the bowl on the counter, and other physical or manual dexterity tasks that might be frustrating for a younger child, even if the child is mature and smart. I would be more comfortable squeaking my younger kid into an art class than a cooking class.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Options
    imagemystererae:

Please don't do this. As a martial arts teacher, nothing brings my class to a screeching halt more than when the "5 yr 6 month" year old I think I am teaching turns out to be 4 yrs, 11 month but "she's really advanced!" 

Instead, be honest and explain your child's real age but that you think she will be a good fit for the activity and ask for a trial class. You may be the expert on your child but let the teachers be the expert on their subjects, please. 

I'm not sure this is really the same thing. When it comes to a martial arts class, someone passing a four and a half year old as a five and a half year old is a LOT different than someone saying their one month younger than 6 years old is six for a cooking class. 6 months to a year can make a big difference, but one month? Doubt it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"