Military Families
Options

It's a little late, but

who actually celebrates military spouse appreciation day here? If so, how do you celebrate ?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: It's a little late, but

• Options
    I honestly never even heard of it until Friday. So....we didn't do anything for it. Ha. My hubby's a Marine and he never heard of it either apparently. Plus with our DD2's birthday being yesterday and today being Mother's Day we decided that 2 was more than enough celebrations in one weekend. Ha.
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    WTF is Military Spouse Appreciation Day?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNSL:
    WTF is Military Spouse Appreciation Day?

https://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=119984

We didn't do anything special. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    Dh and I have been married for almost 9 years, and I don't have a clue when it even is. Needless to say, it's not celebrated in my house.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I always forget what/when it even is until I get tagged in the post on FB.  We do nothing for it.  H did bring my mother's day flowers home after work on Friday, so I messed with him and said those could be for mil spouse day, and he could get me more on Sunday.  He called me a brat.  
  • Options
    Last year the Italians gave us free car washes, which was amazing, but nothing this year :( Probably due to the cutbacks.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Options
    Mil Spouse Appreciation Day is a big deal to my DH. He made my coffee for me and brought it up to me in bed our room's on the third floor, that's a lot of steps! before he left for work. I met him for lunch. He took me to the nicest restaurant in town. He gave me my present thena really cool ACU purse. It has a name tape with our last name and DH's rank on one side. On the other side, "Army Wife, the Toughest Job in the Army" embroidered on it! Then, he dropped me off for a ninety minute massage at my favorite spa. When I got home, I was surprised to see that he'd had a cleaning crew come in and deep clean our house, top to bottom!

Okay, DH didn't even know it was Mil Spouse App Day. He did let me take a nap, though. : And, FTR, the only truth in the paragraph above is that our bedroom is on the third floor of our townhouse. The rest is fabrication!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KIR2DS4KIR2DS4 member
    Yeah, I didn't even get tagged in an fb post...so...I celebrated not at all. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ehnastoehnasto member
    I knew it was sometime this month but didn't plan on doing anything. DH saw someone posted "Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day" on Facebook and said "well would you look at that, who knew?". That was the extent of our celebration. The whole idea of the day seems strange to me.
  • Options
    ehnastoehnasto member

imageSmudges*Mom:
    Mil Spouse Appreciation Day is a big deal to my DH. He made my coffee for me and brought it up to me in bed our room's on the third floor, that's a lot of steps! before he left for work. I met him for lunch. He took me to the nicest restaurant in town. He gave me my present thena really cool ACU purse. It has a name tape with our last name and DH's rank on one side. On the other side, "Army Wife, the Toughest Job in the Army" embroidered on it! Then, he dropped me off for a ninety minute massage at my favorite spa. When I got home, I was surprised to see that he'd had a cleaning crew come in and deep clean our house, top to bottom! Okay, DH didn't even know it was Mil Spouse App Day. He did let me take a nap, though. : And, FTR, the only truth in the paragraph above is that our bedroom is on the third floor of our townhouse. The rest is fabrication!

LOL. I totally believe this for a second. Well played!

• Options

i told my husband he was appriciated and he said ditto. that was the extent of our celebrating. he did make a joke post on facebook saying this was his first and next stop was ombudsman. he would obviously never do something so crazy

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    imageIgoo0304:

imageSmudges*Mom:
    Mil Spouse Appreciation Day is a big deal to my DH. He made my coffee for me and brought it up to me in bed our room's on the third floor, that's a lot of steps! before he left for work. I met him for lunch. He took me to the nicest restaurant in town. He gave me my present thena really cool ACU purse. It has a name tape with our last name and DH's rank on one side. On the other side, "Army Wife, the Toughest Job in the Army" embroidered on it! Then, he dropped me off for a ninety minute massage at my favorite spa. When I got home, I was surprised to see that he'd had a cleaning crew come in and deep clean our house, top to bottom!

Okay, DH didn't even know it was Mil Spouse App Day. He did let me take a nap, though. : And, FTR, the only truth in the paragraph above is that our bedroom is on the third floor of our townhouse. The rest is fabrication!

Hahaha! I read the first paragraph in complete and utter disbelief. Especially LOL to the purse... 

Oh wow. LOL I'm so glad you clarified this was a joke!

• Options
    I too didn't celebrate, but it was put out in our formation that the men "should do something nice for their wives today." I kept getting tagged on fb and it surprised me how many spouses took the "holiday" so seriously. I posted "While I appreciate the sentiment of the wishing me a happy military spouses appreciation day, I fail to see the point. I support and appreciate my military spouse on a daily basis and don't need a made up holiday reminding me to do so." I wrote it that way bc we are dual military. DH doesn't feel jipped out of not celebrating either lol

• Options
    I am giving the sideeye to whomever made the announcement. In 2013, spouses=/=wives, but OP, you know that already!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if my DH did anything I listed in my earlier response except the ACU purse, TYVM, but no. I guess that I'm feeling a bit weary from my role as a military spouse we live in Germany and DH just redeployed after almost 11 months in Kabul. There aren't many other career fields that impact one's family as greatly as the military. Who else moves as often as we do? What other career field calls the employee to leave their family, for months at a time, to go to war zones? It can be hard! But, I don't expect anything, from anyone.

I married my DH knowing he is a career soldier we met online when he was in Afghanistan in 2005. I gave up my career to follow him because we want to be together. I would make the same choice again in a heart beat. But, I won't liehearing/reading heartfelt support and appreciation from my family and friends does help on Mil Spouse Day or not. Sure, the special day seems hokey, but caring for our son and dog, on my own, in a foreign country where I don't speak the language has been the most difficult thing I've ever done. Maybe I'll go book a massage appointment for myself after all! :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Got an email from my FRO....it's just another day lol
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've never heard of anyone ever appreciating us lol
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"