Baby Names

Reid for a girl's name

We just found out we are having a little girl. We had picked Reid out for a boy as it is his mom's maiden name, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of Reid for a girl.. and what middle name would sound cute with it!? 

Re: Reid for a girl's name

• I like using mom's maiden name as a first name. Though it's a slam dunk for a boy, I think it's fine for a girl in this case ? especially if you're in the South, where there is a long tradition of giving girls family surnames as first names.

If you decide not to go with it, it would make a lovely middle name. I know several women with Reid/Reed as a middle name (family names).

If you use it as a first name, I would definitely pair Reid with an overtly feminine middle name.

• imageIdani:
    I honestly don't like it.  I really love Reid as a boys name.  I like that you want to honor your mother's maiden name but I personally think for a girl middle is the only place for it. 

I agree!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • TheWopTheWop member

imageIdani:
    I honestly don't like it.  I really love Reid as a boys name.  I like that you want to honor your mother's maiden name but I personally think for a girl middle is the only place for it. 

Yep.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BethPSUBethPSU member
    Reid is all boy to me but I have a Reed so I am biased. Save it for a boy or use it as a mn.
  • I, too, would use it as a middle name. If you want to call her Reid, you can do that. Or else give her a feminine middle name with a few nickname possibilities, like Elizabeth. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Reid is not a pretty girl name. No.
  • Use it as a middle name instead
  • Are y'all planning on having more children? Maybe you will have a boy later? Your choice if you want to save the name or not. 
  • capuletcapulet member
    I like family surnames as first names (DD and three of DH's siblings have them).  I also like boys to have masculine names and girls to have feminine names.  So I would use Reid as a MN (anything goes in that spot) or save it for a future son.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I like it as a MN. If you are having more, I might save it in case you have a boy.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• The first time I heard the name Reid was on a girl I worked with as a teenager. It was her actual first name. I don't think it was weird at all and it suited her, but again I had no association with it beforehand.
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    No... it's a boy's name. I would use it for the MN though.

• Didn't some woman in the family have a nice first name you could use? Save Reid for the boys.
    Birthday

• ZimgerZimger member
    I understand the pull to use it because it's a family name. However, I think it is best in the MN spot.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBethPSU:
    Reid is all boy to me but I have a Reed so I am biased. Save it for a boy or use it as a mn.
    Agreed.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I am apparently in the minority here, but I like Reid for a girl.  I would probably do Reid Elizabeth.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The first time I heard the name was as a girl's name; her name was spelled REED. She was from an affluent family and, if I remember correctly, it was a family name. Several years ago, I met a man whose name was REID. I really didn't flinch. While it may be a man's name, my association with it is unisex.
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • JLGYJLGY member
    NO!! Reid is NOT a girl's name. Leave it for the boys, please!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"