Military Families
Options

breastpump coverage

I'm sorry if this gets asked all the time, but I don't have time to check through the posts...  Has anyone had a breastpump covered by Tricare (UHC)?  I gave birth to my pregnancy ticker (below) baby on Monday and we are doing triple feeds, so I have a prescription from the pediatrician for one.  Will Tricare cover it?  Thanks!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: breastpump coverage

• Options
    Call UHC/Tricare, but since you have a late-pretermer they will sometimes cover it.  Everything has been a little weird (and messed up!) since the transition to UHC so call then take your script to a medical supply company.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Options
    I'm switching to Tricare (Prime) in June.  Do they cover breast pumps?  I didn't know that insurance companies even covered them until my sister said hers was.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tricare will cover pumps if you have a preterm baby. Other than that, tricare is a benefit and not insurance, according to the government, and because of this it is not required to pay for pumps.
  • Options
    I had difficulty's bfing, tongue tie and bad latch, and while Tricare wouldn't cover breast pumps the base hospital let me check out a hospital grade one for as long as I needed it.  You may want to look into that if Tricare won't cover a pump.
  • Options
    I was able to just borrow one from the nearest base naval hospital, which is not where I delivered. No insurance involved at all, I just checked it out like any other piece of military gear. Maybe if you are near a base, you can call them and ask?
  • Options
    I was told by my women's center that they will only cover if you have a premie or any other medical need. Otherwise, all you get is some type if hand pump
    Ashley IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Looks like I'm buying my own which is what I originally thought I would have to do anyhow. 
  • Options
    I'd also check into the WIC program. Many military families qualify and do not know it. (They do not count BAH towards your income.) I know WIC, at least here in CA, give breast pumps for certain situations.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tricare does not pay for breastpumps unless you have a premature baby. Starting in 2014 Tricare will have to pay for breastpumps because of some law,(that is what the WIC office has told me).
  • Options
    I gave delivered 10 days ago, my baby was preterm and low birth weight and I needed to get a breast pump...multiple calls to UHC later, I am told they will cover "hospital grade breast pump" with pre auth submitted by my OB. I had to just go ahead and rent one bc I couldn't wait the 8-10 days they said it would take to process the paperwork, so I still don't know if they will really cover it/reimburse me. Every time I called it felt like the person I was talking to had no idea of what was going on. So...will keep you posted on whether or not its covered!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"