April 2012 Moms

Help Bottle to Sippy Cup

We are trying to transition our DD from bottles to sippy cups. We have been offering her water in a sippy cup for several months now. However, she usually plays with it and doesn't want it. So we are struggling with trying to transition her to drink her milk from a sippy cup now. Any tips or suggestions? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help Bottle to Sippy Cup

• We were in the same boat. I wound up continuing to do milk in bottles and water in sippys. I kept a certain kind of sippys aside as "big boy sippys" that were going to be for milk so that there wouldn't be a confusion to the kids. I tried milk right after their birthday in the big boy sippys but they kept putting them down and playing which wasn't conducive to our schedule. This week P refused to keep laying down for half his btl, so I gave him the rest of his in the big boy sippy. He put it down and L stole it. P would only drink out of a water sippy. Every time I switched them they both screamed. The next meal I just did the big boy sippy after food was done and they drank some and then put them down off and on until nap time. I threw away maybe half the milk in each. Last night we did bottles before bed while changing them. They both drank them. This morning we did big boy sippys with less milk. They are still putting them down, but I took away the water sippy.... Still has milk sitting in them. Hoping slowly by slowly they'll get it.
  • mkwtmkwt member
    That is what we did too, just gave water in the sippy cup for a long time, and mostly DD just played with.  Then I decided it was time to take away the bottle, so I started with her 11am feeding, she got baby food, then a sippy cup of milk, and she honestly did not pay any attention. It took a while for her to actually take the whole sippy cup of milk, and sometimes she still not take it all. Good Luck!  She gets a sippy cup of water during the day but only milk at meal times, hope that helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much!
  • He doesn't really like the sippy cup. He prefers the straw ones. Once daddy helped him figure it out, he has been drinking water more regularly ever since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"