May 2012 Moms
Options

Advice on getting rid of bottles.

DS is down to one bottle right before bed.  He drinks milk or water out of a sippy all day, and eats 3 meals, and 2 snacks per day.  For the last few weeks I have been giving one 7 oz bottle of formula to try to use it up.  Tonight I tried to give a sippy of milk and he just cried and pushed it away.  I finally just gave up and did the bottle.  I mean the pedi thought he was doing really well with only having one bottle per day at this point.  Am I trying to rush him? Is it too early to get rid of the bottle completely? Or how should I go about doing it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker

Re: Advice on getting rid of bottles.

• Options
    From day one we always did a bath after his nighttime bottle so that he would associate the bath with bedtime and not the bottle.  We just stopped giving it to him cold turkey and he was ok with it.  So maybe add something like that if you don't already, or maybe a bedtime story, and then try dropping the bottle and see how it goes.  Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ELF4321ELF4321 member
    Our pedi told us to just try to get rid of the bottle by the time she's 2, so I'm not rushing to get it done.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    fryratfryrat member

I was in the same situation as you. I refused to go to the formula in a sippy because then that transition is even harder. We ran out of formula one day, and the store was out of stock (The stuff we use is hard to find.). I gave her a sippy of milk and let her drink as much as she wanted to drink. It was not as much as a whole bottle would be, so I just kept some in the fridge ready to go in case she woke up at night. We haven't looked back!

Our clue that DD was ready was that she was sucking on the bottle like it was not coming out fast enough, since she was used to the sippy moreso than the bottle. I think it helped to make that last transition one that was welcomed instead of a struggle. Whether the timing is right is up to you and the baby. You know what LO needs and wants each day.

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we are down to our last bottle also. my whole fear is she wont get enough fluid. she drinks from the sippy but she gets so distracted with playing. how many oz are they supposed to be getting? we use the straw sippy
  • Options
    At our 12 month appt. our pedi said 12 to 24 oz per day milk. Then as much water as they want. Currently he is drinking at least 1.5 cups of milk a day. I am trying not to stress about it because he is such a great eater.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"