Preemies

Intro

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to come over and say hello and probably start reading through posts over here.

Our son Andrew was born last week at 35 weeks gestation, via C-section.  My water broke (although I didn't know it at the time).  We are all doing pretty well, but Andrew is still in the hospital working on feeding while I got discharged on Monday.  I'm guessing a lot of you know how brutal this is.

He is really starting to improve with his feedings, and we even got him to breastfeed for a bit yesterday, but he's still losing weight.  Otherwise he has no problems breathing, no jaundice yet, or any other issues.

We will be heading to the hospital this afternoon to see him, please feel free to give any helpful suggestions etc on all this premie stuff.  He mostly just seems to tire himself out.  We've been trying to do some kangaroo care as well, when we can.

~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Intro

• Congrats on your new baby boy! While the NICU is overwhelming once we were home with our BG it seemed like a distant memory. From one NICU Mom to another, make sure you take care of yourself. Eat, drink and sleep! Seems so basic but in the middle of it I certainly forgot to do it all at some point in our 76 day stay. I wasn't happy unless I was at the hospital after my discharge but I finally learned to take naps in a chair by BG's isolette. I slept better there crunched in a tiny chair than I did in bed at night. Just find a routine that works for you and don't be afraid to ask others around you for help. One of the best things that happened for me while in the NICU was bonding with another Mom. A year out and we are still BFFs. It is a wonderful friendship to have because she "gets it". Friends with term babies are kind and helpful but they often don't understand the struggles experienced in and after the NICU. I would encourage you to look to others in the NICU if possible for support and friendship. Best of luck! hugs!!!
  • Pips09Pips09 member

Congrats on your baby! Feeding is was also our last challenge before coming home, From what I see, I think that is a common issue to linger. Just try to keep positive, one day he will just get it.

<<Fellow SU alum- go Orangemen! 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • DrRxDrRx member
    Congratulations on the birth of your son! Welcome to the board.  The NICU is a hard place to be.  I hope that he is able to go home soon!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Congratulations on the birth of your DS. Sounds like he is doing very well, other than the eating, but really that's totally normal. Praying that you can take your guy home soon.

• AZAmy77AZAmy77 member
    imagePips09:

Congrats on your baby! Feeding is was also our last challenge before coming home, From what I see, I think that is a common issue to linger. Just try to keep positive, one day he will just get it.

<<Fellow SU alum- go Orangemen! 

Whew hoo!  Go Orange!  :)  Right now we have LAX going on!

~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
    ~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome! It's great that you are doing kangaroo care! Hope you can do it from the comfort of your own home soon!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Welcome! 

I noticed feeding was sometimes the hardest part for the babies. Glad to hear you get to kangaroo, I lived for it while DS was in the NICU. My advice is to pick a primary nurse, they are great to have. We didnt always have ours but it was so wonderful to see a familiar face when we did. I was also more comfortable asking them questions, and I knew that they loved DS so maybe they gave him a little extra attention. ;)

And dont forget to spend some qaulity time with DH, even tho your LO is in the hospital it doesnt hurt to take a night and reconnect. After about a month DH and I went out to dinner and had a nice dinner and went for a drive. It was really helpful and we didnt realize how much we needed it. Hope your stay is short and you get to bring him home soon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"