Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Anyone switch to cow's milk before 12 months?

Hi everyone,

My daughter is a little over 10 and a half months and has been breastfed up until this point.  I pump at work and my pump is dying.  Half of it no longer works and the other half is struggling.  When I called to see about using my waranty, I was told that my pump is not in stock and they don't know when they will be able to replace it. I am able to send back my pump and get a refund (in 4-6 weeks), which is nice, but I got it on sale and with a coupon so the refund is not enough to cover buying a replacement. I have about 15 days worth of frozen milk and I was actually in the process of weaning off the pump with a goal of finish pumping around 11.5 months and just use up my freezer stash to tide us over to the 1 year mark.

My question is - I don't have enough milk to stop pumping now and make it until 1 year and pumping is getting more and more pointless.  I got two bottles today in my one session but it took my entire one hour lunch break to do so. DD already eats yogurt every day as well as some cheese with no ill effects and she is a great eater.  I intend to keep nursing after a year as long as my supply holds up, so if we start to switch her over she'll still have a morning nursing session and two or so evening sessions and one overnight session, plus all weekend.  Does it seem like a viable plan to start trying cow's milk for daycare a little early? If I mix with my stash I can probably stretch it out to avoid having to buy a new pump.  Thanks.

Re: Anyone switch to cow's milk before 12 months?

• Options
    This is a question for your pediatrician.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member

I also think you should ask your pedi. We started the switch to formula 2 weeks ago, at 11 1/2 months. However, I am only doing 1/2 and 1/2 until he turns 1 year and then I'll continue the switch.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I used a cheap The First Years one ($80) for the first 6 weeks because I couldn't get my PISA until I went back to work. I EP and it worked just fine, pumping every 2 hours. You definitely have other options.

I wouldn't give WCM any earlier than recommended, but I agree, talk to your pediatrician. Why can't you switch to formula for a month and a half? I mean, that's what I would do.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    I personally wouldn't want to give LO cows milk before 1. I would give her formula for sure. It has so many more nutrients our LO's need right now.
  • Options
    hay1122hay1122 member
    Definitely talk to your Pedi.  We started weaning DD from breastmilk at 9months and supplemented with formula until about 10 months, while integrating WCM, and then she was on WCM exclusively at 10 months.  I think DD is in the minority though, she's always been a good eater with table food so my pedi was comfortable with the switch.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've given to my 10month old here and there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lh80lh80 member
    If you're still nursing in the morning, 1 or 2 times in the evening and also once through the night I'm sure your baby will be getting plenty of bm. If you're concerned about giving wcm during the day, just wait til the year mark and offer water instead. My dd is 10.5 months and is down to 2 or 3 feedings a day (ebf). I offer water at all other times and am having no issues in relation to weight gain. She eats 3 meals and a snack or two each day. I do give her dairy by way of yoghurt and cheese and wcm in her oatmeal. 

• Options
    To answer your question, we started introducing cows milk at 10 months and have been doing only cows milk since 11 months.    

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    I stopped pumping at work when my girl turned 8 months so we give her formula during the day and I nurse her in the evening. Her doctor advised us not to give cows milk until a year old because it's hard to digest.
  • Options
    pedi had us start at 9 month checkup.  He was on cow's milk and table food since about 11 months.  Went in for one year appt today and she said he's doing great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    libra31libra31 member
    Look into renting a pump.  Call babies r us or local hospitals that deliver babies if you need a rental place.  Or supplement with formula until 1yr.
    DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • Options

I wouldn't.  Not pumping I get, but my pediatrician and all of the stuff on the internetz says formula or breastmilk until at least a year.

Why can't you just give her formula to supplement your breastfeeding?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"